Austin Stacks GAA Club News

Posted by

GOLF CLASSIC: Our Golf Classic went off  without a hitch in glorious summer-like weather in Tralee Golf Club Barrow last Friday (5th April).

And with 35 teams eventually taking part, at the end of the day it was Davy’s team captained by our former Club Chairman, Liam Lynch that finally took the honours with a score of 99 points. This fantastic score was 3 points ahead of the ladies team who were in 2nd place.

Again a big thank you to all who took part and a special thanks to Club Treasurer, Nial Shanahan and his dedicated sub-committee who worked tirelessly over the past few weeks to make it such a big success.

Thanks also to all at Tralee Golf Club for their hospitality on the day and Harry Hynes, Denis Sayers, Annette Carmody, Bernie Somers and staff for a great night in the Clubhouse afterwards.

JOB MATCH: With the huge success over the last 4 years we are now taking CV’s for Summer, Part-Time and Full-Time employment or perhaps a change of employment.

Please consider this great opportunity, where you will also receive support to update your CV and direct help with interview techniques from the Job Match Mentors.

This initiative has been a huge success for the club and its members. The mission here is to support our members with local employment and perhaps identify opportunities for members to return to this region who are today working or living outside the area.

If you are interested in any of these categories – New opportunities; Employment for Jobseekers or Summer Jobs – please email your CV to and a member of the committee will follow up with you personally.

SENIOR FOOTBALL: Austin Stacks 2-12; Dingle 2-9.

Played on the Annascaul pitch which was in perfect condition and on a dry, if breezy, Sunday afternoon (7th April) this first round of this season’s Club Championship produced an intense encounter all through with no more than four points separating the sides at any stage during the more than 70 minutes of play (34m in the first half and 36m in the second period).

After a getting-to-know-you-period in the opening minutes we were first off the mark with a 4th minute point by Darragh O’Brien after some good work by Dylan Casey and Greg Horan.

Dylan picked up a heavy knock during this build-up but thankfully recovered well to have a super game all through. Our second point came four minutes later when Jack Morgan combined with Seán Quilter who put over from distance.

Dingle’s first score came from a forty five in the 10th minute and they could have goaled seconds later but for a super save by Robbie Murphy.

Just over a minute later Darragh O’Brien pointed from a free after Jack O’Shea was fouled. Dingle’s first score from play came in the 17th minute – an indication of how good our defence was performing at that stage.

In the 21st minute a good move started by Seán Quilter ended with Sean pointing from a free after Darragh O’Brien was fouled. This left us ahead by 0-4 to 0-2 at that stage but in a five minute spell Dingle, first with a point and then with a 26th minute goal, went ahead for the first time in the game.

But this set-back seemed to stir our lads into more intense action and in the closing six minutes of the half we overturned that lead with a goal and two points to give us a three points advantage at half time (1-6 to 1-3).

Our goal came in the 29th minute with a beautiful move started by Greg Horan which was added to by Kieran Donaghy and flicked to the net by Darragh O’Brien. Darragh was on target again two minutes later when he put over after good work by Wayne Guthrie and Greg Horan.

Wayne was again involved in the last score of the half which was converted by Jack O’Shea.

The second half was just three minutes old when Dingle got through for their second goal to level the game again.

From then until the end of the third quarter it was point for point by each side – our two coming from  Kieran Donaghy and Seán Quilter (free). But the score that finally turned the game in our favour came in the 43rd minute and Seán Quilter was again involved when he put Shane O’Callaghan through and Shane kept his cool to eventually slot the ball to the net.

That score gave us back our three points half time lead (2-8 to 2-5). In the final quarter it was tit for tat again with both sides scoring four points each – all ours coming from play and from four different players – Joseph O’Connor (Joseph and Wayne dominated the centre for most of the game), Seán Quilter, Colin Griffin and Jack O’Shea.

And when you take into account that we had to play most of that second half with 14 men it puts our performance in context.

This was achieved by a five-star defensive display which was aided all through by the rest of the squad including Kieran Donaghy who was all over the field. This was Star’s first game since last September and he played as if he was playing gaelic every Sunday since then.

We now understand that our opponents in round two on this coming week-end will be Kilcummin who taught us a lesson or two when they defeated us in the first round of the Co. League a month ago.  Check Club Website for details.

Team: Robbie Murphy, Colin Griffin (0-1), Barry Shanahan, Dylan Casey, Jack O’Shea (0-2), Ronan Shanahan, Jack Morgan, Wayne Guthrie, Joseph O’Connor (0-1), Greg Horan, Darragh O’Brien (Capt) (1-3 – one free), Ciarán O’Reilly, Seán Quilter (0-4 – two frees), Kieran Donaghy (0-1), Shane O’Callaghan (1-0).

Subs used: Shane Carroll (49m), John Dennis (56m), Fiachna Mangan (59m).

MINOR FOOTBALL: Na Gaeil 3-10; Austin Stacks 1-7.

A below par performance by our lads coupled with a five star display by Na Gaeil in last week’s (3rd April) Co. League game in Killeen has left the last two semi final spots still wide open with Legion and Laune Rangers already through.

But with our five round robin games now completed, qualification is now out of our hands, though we still could get through.

The home side started this game as if they meant business with their opening point coming after just 25 seconds.

They added a further three inside the 6th minute. A minute later Seán Quilter opened our account and added a second in the 15th minute. A bitterly cold cross-field wind didn’t help for good open football and both sides could only manage a point each during the next 12 minutes – ours coming from Jordan Kissane  – which left Na Gaeil two pints ahead at that stage (0-5 to 0-3).

But a strong finish to the half by the home side saw them score 1-2 to leave them with a seven points lead at the break (1-7 to 0-3).

They went further ahead four minutes into the second half when their keeper converted a well-taken forty five. A come-back then looked on the cards for us as we got back in the game during a three minute spell with a Jordan Kissane goal followed by two points from Adam Curran and Conor Myers (free).

But that was as good as it got for us as Na Gaeil put this game beyond our reach when they added a further 2-1 before the end of the third quarter. The final quarter produced only three more points – two for us by Eoghan Carroll and a last minute free by Adam Curran.

Our semi final qualification spot is all down to tomorrow night’s (9th April) game between Na Gaeil and Rathmore. Win or lose Na Gaeil will go through. However if they win it will mean that we will go through in 4th spot and will meet Legion away in the first semi final while Na Gaeil will meet Laune Rangers in the second semi. However if Rathmore win tomorrow night’s game it is they who will go through at our expense.

Team: Ben Quilter, Joey Nagle, Niall Fitzmaurice, David Burke, Luke Chester, Dara Barry Walsh, Eoghan Carroll (0-1), Seán Quilter (0-2), Adam Curran (0-2 – one free), Craig Teahan, Daniel O’Rourke, Armin Heinrich, Jordan Kissane (1-1_, Conor Myers (0-1), Cian Purcell.

Subs used: Tom O’Farrell (35m), Mark Holden (55m), Greg Scanlon (56m).

CLUBHOUSE: As always the Clubhouse is available for all types of Parties and Functions. Enquiries about Club Bookings should be made by contacting Harry Hynes at 087 2467286.

CARDS: The 45 Card Sessions continue in the Clubhouse on every Monday and Thursday nights, commencing at 9.30pm each night.

LOTTO: Last week’s (1st April) Jackpot, worth €10,800, was not won. The numbers drawn were 8, 17, 21, 28.

The €20 winners were; Seán Óg Geary c/o Carmel O’Neill; Wayne Guthrie, Noreen Power and Liam O’Connor, all c/o The Club; and Angela Horgan, c/o Rock Street Post Office .

Lotto Tickets are on regular sale at the Rock Street Post Office and at the Stacks Clubhouse, as well as from our other regular outlets.

SYMPATHY:  Sincere sympathy is offered to the families of the following who died recently – Liam Hurley, Knockmoyle; Emma Herrity, Parklands Apartments and formerly Shanakill; Peter O’Sullivan, Mitchel’s Road; Siobhán Colleran (nee Dargan), Beenoskee, Ballyard and formerly Ballymacelligott and Ennis; Liz Fraher (nee Lanigan), Manor Village and formerly Plunkett Street, Killarney and Terry (Terence) McMahon, Kilcummin and formerly The Farmhouse, Cahermoneen (Uncle of former Club Footballers Pádraig and Deirdre).

Comments are closed.