Churchill GAA Club News

Posted by

Laune Rangers 0-22; Churchill 3-13

Laune Rangers and Churchill played out a thrilling draw in the penultimate round of the County League on Sunday afternoon in Killorglin.

While both teams were in search of a precious two points in their respective quests for promotion, in the end a draw was a fair result and leaves both teams in the hunt heading into the last round of fixtures.

Both sets of attackers were able to find space and create scoring opportunities in the first period and Churchill’s Ivan Parker was at the end of most Churchill moves helping himself to 7 first half points.

Laune Rangers midfield duo of Jack O’Connor and Shane Daly and Churchill’s Mikey Brennan and Jack O’Connell were having a right battle in midfield and Tomas Lenihan was also effective when he replaced O’Connell midway through the half.

Ranger’s scores were spread throughout the forward line, with corner back Patrick Carey also getting up the field for a score, but centre forward Kieran Doona was involved in much their attacking play and also contributed 3 points in the first period.

Churchill’s first half goal from Ger McCarthy, following good build up play from O’Connell, Liam O’Donnell and JJ Prior, was the difference between the teams at halftime as Churchill led 1-08 to 0-08.

Rangers started the second half brightly, taking control in midfield, and 4 unanswered points, the pick of them from wing back David Costello, had the hosts in the lead.  However, Ger McCarthy’s second goal, expertly created by Cillian Fitzgerald put Churchill ahead again.

Both teams exchanged scores, before Churchill’s Tomas Lenihan scored Churchill’s third goal with a fantastic solo effort and at this stage midway through the half the visitors led by 4.

Rangers again responded with some fantastic point taking, including two more from Doona and a 45’ from ‘keeper Jason Browne, but when Parker grabbed his 8th point of the day nearing full time Churchill led by 2.

Rangers threw caution to the wind at this stage and pushed forward in an attempt to rescue the game and three points in as many minutes from Patrick Daly, John Tyther and substitute Mark O’Connor put them a point ahead, well into injury time.

In the end it was Churchill that had to scramble for the draw and a late long range free from Parker, with the last kick of the game, ensured the spoils were shared.

This was effectively Ranger’s last game in the league as their final opponents Valentia have already conceded the final round. Churchill will now face relegation threatened St Michaels Foilmore, knowing that a win will secure promotion to Division 3.

Congratulations to the Kerry minors in their victory over Tyrone in the All Ireland Quarter Final, and to Churchill’s Joseph Linehan who was instrumental in creating Kerry’s crucial goal in the second half.

Comments are closed.