Councillors Request Return Of Diving Boards To Fenit

Posted by

.

Cllr Pa Daly.

COUNCILLORS have asked that the Council consider the return of diving boards to Fenit, which proved so popular with swimmers in years gone by.

A motion was put forward by Sinn Féin Cllr Pa Daly at the meeting of the Tralee Municipal District on Monday morning that the diving boards to the slip in Fenit be restored.

In reply, Council management said the boards were removed around 15 years ago on the advice of their Safety Advisor and following numerous insurance claims.

Continued below…

.

They said there is insufficient depth of water at this location in low tide and any proposal to re-erect the boards would require a thorough Water Safety Risk Assessment. Therefore, the Council said it will not reinstall the boards.

Cllr Daly accepted a water safety risk assessment should be carried out and said any potential for insurance claims could be dealt with by proper signage. He said the Council should not be living in fear of claims, giving the example that  there was not a mass at the Mass rock in Ballygbeggan this year because of insurance claims fears.

Labour Cllr Terry O’Brien supported Cllr Daly saying it was a great place to go when he was younger. He said people would know when the tide was in or out.

Cllr Sam Locke (Ind) said he previously had a motion in the old Tralee Town Council for the retention of the boards. He said it would be a marvellous facility to have again.

Comments are closed.

image