Kerins O’Rahillys GAA Club News

Posted by

Garvey’s Supervalu Co Senior Football Championship Round 2A

Dingle 2-09 Kerins O’Rahillys 1-11

A rain-sodden Pairc an Aghasaigh was the venue for this compelling Co Senior Championship tie in Dingle on Saturday evening last.

The visitors fielded with Con Barrett replacing the injured Gavin O’Brien and the match-ups saw Cormac Coffey picking up Michael Geaney with Ross O’Callaghan on Paul Geaney and Shane Brosnan as the spare man at the back.

O’Rahillys played into the wind in the first half but got off to a good start when David Moran won the throw-in and the ball was worked into the overlapping Karl Mullins who split the sticks from 40 metres.

Dingle replied when Paul Geaney retrieved a ball played into the corner and picked out Maitiu O’Flaitheartaigh who steered the ball over the bar.  Jack Savage restored Strand Road’s lead from a free in the fourth minute after a foul on Tommy Walsh, only for Dingle to square matters again when they worked the ball upfield from a kickout and from 13 metres out, Micheal O’Baoighill pointed from a tight angle.

Another long pass from Moran in the 13th minute drew a foul on Walsh and Savage obliged from 20 metres with the placed ball and four minutes later, another delivery from Moran broke for Mullins who had stolen forward and made his way along the end line before handpassing to Savage who converted to make it Dingle 0-02, O’Rahillys 0-04.

However, Kerry star, Paul Geaney was to play a crucial role over the next few minutes that put Dingle into the ascendancy.  Firstly, he got on the end of a long ball and jinked inside onto his right foot and pointed from 13 metres.

Then, a minute later, Geaney fielded a similar delivery, cut inside and hammered the ball past Gary Kissane at the near post to put his side two points up.

To their credit, O’Rahillys responded well and put together a flowing move involving Savage, John Ferguson and Shane Brosnan, which culminated in Barry John Keane blasting the ball over the bar from close range.

Paul Geaney almost made it a four-point game in the 22nd minute when he was picked out by a well-directed delivery, but this time he opted to shoot high and Kissane managed to get enough of a hand on the ball to divert it onto the crossbar and away to safety.

Maitiu O’Flaitheartaigh added a point shortly after though to add to the lead after Keane had a claim for a free in the opposite direction and Paul Geaney extended the lead to three points in the 29th minute when he converted a free with the help of an upright and the short whistle blew soon afterwards to leave the half time score at Dingle 1-5 O’Rahillys 0-5.

Dingle started the second period at a cracking pace and Conchubhar O’Geibheannaigh pointed after a pass from Paul Geaney and Barra O’Suilleabhain added another to put them five points ahead.  Jack Savage then saw his free kick come back off an upright, but in the fourth minute a hop ball broke to Cormac Coffey who charged through and fired over.

A poor kickout was then seized upon by Savage who drove at the heart of the Dingle defence before offloading to Walsh who guided the ball between the posts and the lead was reduced to three points.  However, two minutes later, the hopes of the Tralee men were dealt a real body blow when Dingle worked the ball latterly and stole in behind a static Strand Road defence to steer the ball into the net.

The visitors responded by introducing Gavin O’Brien and Conor Hayes for Shane Brosnan and Tom Hoare and in the 11th minute Ross O’Callaghan won possession on halfway and fed Savage who split the posts from 25 metres.

Then a fine move in the 14th minute involving Moran and Walsh saw Hayes pick out Keane with a super pass only for Deividas Uosis to dive low to his left to push out the goal-bound effort.  However, the Tralee men kept pressing and in the 18th minute O’Brien won a ball in midfield, linked with Ferguson and Coffey was played into space but his shot just cleared the crossbar to make it 2-07 to 0-09.

Dingle replied immediately with a fisted point, but Keane answered that from 35 metres after a pass from Moran and it was back to a three-point game when O’Rahillys won the kickout and Coffey kicked a monster point from way out on the left wing.  The momentum was now with the Blues but it was Dingle who remained more composed when in possession and they restored their four-point advantage with a good point in the 27th minute.

Then, two minutes later, a long Strand Road punt into the danger area eluded Tommy Walsh but broke for Conor Hayes who was bearing down on goals when fouled for a penalty.  Ryan Carroll stepped up to take the kick and made no mistake, hammering the ball low into the right-hand corner to make it 2-09 to 1-11.

With the game in injury time, the rain began lashing down and Savage had a chance from a 45-metre free but pulled it slightly to the right and Con Barrett was unable to keep the ball in play and the final act of the game saw Keane’s effort collected by the keeper and Dingle held on to win by the minimum margin.

They now proceed to the quarter final with O’Rahillys drawn to face East Kerry in Round 3.  That game is scheduled for Austin Stack Park on Saturday evening next, October 5th, at 7pm.

Kerins O’Rahillys: G Kissane; D Murphy, R O’Callaghan, C Coffey; R Carroll, K Mullins, D McElligott; D Moran, S Brosnan; T Hoare, J Ferguson, C Barrett; J Savage, T Walsh, BJ Keane.  Subs: S Foley, C Hayes, G O’Brien, P Griffin, S Walsh, D O’Sullivan, P Begley, G Savage, G Dillane, S Collins, Rory O’Connor, D O’Brien, A Roche, K Mangan, Rob O’Connor.



Some of our U8 and U10 girls went over to Na Gaeil on Sunday last, where they had a wonderful morning. Thanks to Mike and everyone in Na Gaeil for hosting us.

We will have Go Games next Saturday afternoon, October 5th. More details to follow.


Last Tuesday we were at home to Austin Stacks in round 3 of The Town League. Everyone enjoyed a good competitive game on a very wet evening with a final score of KOR 1-05 to Stacks 3-05. Well done to everyone!

We are home to Na Gaeil in the next round of the Town League. Throw in will be at 6.15p.m.  in Ballyrickard on Monday, September 30th. Best of luck to everyone!

U12 development continues in Ballyrickard next Saturday at 9.45a.m. for girls born in 2007.


Unfortunately, West Kerry can no longer enter this competition.  Therefore, there no longer will be a preliminary round.

The semi-finals will be in John Mitchels’ Complex this Saturday, October 5th. More details to follow.


We meet Stacks again in a playoff in the North Kerry League to see who will meet Abbeydorney in  the Division 1 Shield. Throw in will be at 6.30p.m. this Tuesday, October 1st in Connolly Park.


We played Castleisland Desmonds in round 4 of the North Kerry League in Pat Healy Park on Friday night last. This was really a game of two different halves, with a strong enough breeze favouring the team playing into the dressing room end.

As the opposition only had 13 players, we had to readjust our team from the start by dropping two players from the starting 15 and while we rotated players on and off throughout the game, unfortunately two players did not get any game time at all which is something we have tried to avoid with the U16 team since the beginning of the year.

Desmonds would be regarded as a strong enough team with some very good ball players, so the plan in the first half against the breeze was to kick in fast ball which at times created opportunities that we didn’t take full advantage of.  We probably overplayed the ball a few times as well with only Liana Williams , Aoibhín MacCarthy and Katie Nix scoring a point each in the first half – but it was into a stiff enough breeze.  We were creating a lot more opportunities than Desmonds, but their quick movement on the break allowed them to hit us for two fast goals and two points in the first half leaving us five down at half time.

We knew we had plenty in the tank here, playing into our preferred goals in the second half . As coaches we rarely get too much credit but we made two positional changes at halftime and specifically changed the play by changing the tactic to running with the ball into the wings and corners away from the centre where they were strongest.  This drew their backs out and in turn created more space for the forwards and midfielders to run into and attack in the second half which paid immediate dividends with Katie Nix picking off two goals and another point, Kate Kerins two points and Liana  Williams getting two goals and another point with the Desmonds scoring just five points in the second half. The overall team performance in that second half was really good and back to the level this team are well capable of producing.

The more games we are playing, the more we will improve and that showed in the second half the last night.  Best on the night were Kelly Fitzgerald, again making some great saves and kicking some great balls out.  Katie Dwyer, Eugenie Kerins, Hollie Leane, Meabh Hanafin and Lily O’ Brien were very steady all evening up against some very good footballers.  In midfield, Éabha Murphy and Keelan Coffey were up against two of their best players, but they played really well in the second half, attacking at every chance and setting up most of our scores.  Up fron,t Kate Kerins worked hard all night and Katie Nix, Liana Williams and Aoibhín MacCarthy did really well, especially in the second half.  While we scored four goals and three points in that half, it’s the team performance that matters to win games like these and the whole panel played their part.

Final score Kerins O’Rahillys 4-06 Desmonds 2- 07.

Our last match is coming up this week against Na Gaeil and it’s a game all of the players are looking forward to, especially as it has a local derby element to it  If we reproduce the second half performance we did the last night, any team will have their work cut out to beat us.


Our ladies had their day out last Saturday when they headed out to Killarney for the day.  An enjoyable day was had by all.

Texts will be sent with training times etc.


Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip to Laune Rangers last Sunday as many of the girls and boys had a Communion Mass and we didn’t want them missing out.  We will reschedule our trip in the coming weeks.

Some of our Academy headed across town to John Mitchels. Thanks to Mitchels for hosting our U6s and our U8 and U10 boys who had plenty of fun games.

Academy continues next week, texts will he sent before the weekend.

We have plenty to look forward to over the next few weeks- a day out, Halloween party etc. Keep an eye on our Facebook page which will keep you up to date.

SNIPPETS from “top of the right”

·         Hard luck to our Senior panel who lost narrowly to Dingle on Saturday last in Round 2A of the Garvey’s Supervalu Co Championship.

·         Redemption beckons on Saturday next, 5th October, in a winner takes all “Shootout in the Sportsfield”, when we face East Kerry, conquerors of our town rivals Austin Stacks, in Round 3.

·         Throw-in at Austin Stack Park is at 7pm.  Remember the winners advance to the quarter final and the losers exit the championship.  All support is welcome.

·         Our game will be preceded by the clash of St Brendans and Shannon Rangers at 5pm.

·         Congrats to David and Angela Walsh (daughter of Club PRO Ger O’Brien and true blue Mary Hanafin) on the birth of their daughter Ríadh Mary.


All at the club wish to extend our deepest sympathy to the family and friends of John Devane of Monavalley and formerly Lohercannon and Breda Clifford (née Ryan), The Kerries, (Clifford’s Cash & Carry and formerly the Brandon Hotel).  Ar dheis Dé go raibh a n-anamacha.

Comments are closed.