Know Your Rights: Applying For A Student Grant

Posted by



Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Question: I will be sitting my Leaving Certificate this year and plan to go to college in the autumn. How do I apply for a student grant?

Answer: Student Universal Support Ireland (SUSI) is Ireland’s single national awarding authority for all higher and further education grants. SUSI is accepting grant applications for the 2019–2020 academic year from 25 April 2019.

You apply to SUSI by completing an application form online. You must have an online account with SUSI before you can make your grant application. To meet the the conditions of the scheme, you must:

Continued below…


• Be an Irish resident, EU, EEA or Swiss national or have specific leave to remain in the State

• Have been ordinarily resident in Ireland or the EU for three of the last five years

• Be attending an approved course in an approved institution

Your family’s means (in the previous tax year, 2018) are assessed and must be under the specified threshold. You can use SUSI’s eligibility reckoner to check whether you would be considered eligible for student grant funding.

Make sure that you provide complete and accurate information (date of birth, Personal Public Service numbers (PPS numbers) and bank details in particular) to avoid any delay to the processing of your application. You need to send hard copies of any supporting documentation to SUSI.

If you are refused a grant, or are approved for a lower level of grant, you can appeal the decision to SUSI in writing. You must appeal within 30 days of getting your decision.

Student grants are reviewed each year. If you had a grant in one academic year and are continuing your studies on the course in the following year, SUSI will be in contact with you to renew or re-assess your student grant for that next year.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

• Contact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860 Killarney 0761 07 7820, Listowel 0761 07 7840 Kenmare 0761 07 7810, & Caherciveen 0761 07 7780. Outreach Services; Killorglin weekly, Dingle monthly, please call Tralee for more information.

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000

Comments are closed.