Know Your Rights: How To Get The Public Services Card

Posted by



Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Question: What is the Public Services Card and how do I get one?

Answer: The Public Services Card (PSC) helps you to access a range of public services easily. The front of the card holds your name, photograph and signature, along with the card expiry date. The back of the card holds your PPS number and a card number.

It also holds a magnetic stripe to enable social welfare payments such as pensions to be collected at post offices. If you are entitled to free travel, the card will also display this information in the top left-hand corner.

Continued below…


Your identity is fully authenticated when it is issued so it saves you having to give the same information to multiple organisations.

You can use the PSC as evidence of identity when applying for a driving licence or learner permit or if you are sitting the Driver Theory Test.

In some cases a PSC is required. For example, all first-time passport applicants aged 18 and above who are resident in Ireland need to have one. All applicants for a certificate of naturalisation aged 18 or over who are resident in the State must have a PSC.

A Public Services Card is usually issued when you are allocated a PPS number. If you apply for, or are currently getting a social welfare payment (including Child Benefit) you will be asked to register for your Public Services Card.

If you don’t yet have a Public Services Card, you can make an appointment to get one either by using or by calling into your local Intreo Centre or Social Welfare Branch Office. You will need to bring certain documents to prove your identity and a mobile phone that can be used to create a verified account.

The process takes about 15 minutes and your PSC is posted out to you and is valid for seven years.

You can get more information on the Public Services Card from and learn more about online public services at MyGovID.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

• Contact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860 Killarney 0761 07 7820, Listowel 0761 07 7840 Kenmare 0761 07 7810, & Caherciveen 0761 07 7780. Outreach Services; Killorglin weekly, Dingle monthly, please call Tralee for more information.

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000

Comments are closed.