Know Your Rights: Recognition Of Your Qualifications

Posted by



Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Question: I am returning to Ireland from Australia where I have been working and living for the last 10 years. I received my degree from the University of Melbourne. I want to do a Masters in Ireland on my return. Can I use my foreign degree to apply for a place in a third level course?

Answer: You should first check with the admissions office of your chosen 3rd level institution to see if they will accept your degree for admission to the Masters.

NARIC Ireland also provides free advice on the academic recognition of foreign qualifications in Ireland.

Continued below…


The service compares a foreign qualification to an Irish qualification of a similar type and level on the Irish National Framework of Qualifications (NFQ).

The NARIC Ireland foreign qualifications database has details of over 1100 qualifications from over 140 countries.

You can download a Comparability Statement which compares your qualifications to an award type and level in the context of the Irish National Framework of Qualifications.

If your qualification is not currently listed you can request recognition advice for your foreign award by emailing them directly. Visit for more information.

Make sure you have original copies of your degree (parchment) and exam transcripts before leaving Australia, as you will have to submit these with your application to the college and/or the NARIC.

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

• Contact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860 Killarney 0761 07 7820, Listowel 0761 07 7840 Kenmare 0761 07 7810, & Caherciveen 0761 07 7780. Outreach Services; Killorglin weekly, Dingle monthly, please call Tralee for more information.

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000

Comments are closed.