Know Your Rights: What Are Rent Pressure Zones?

Posted by



Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Question: What is a rent pressure zone?

Answer: A rent pressure zone (RPZ) is an area where rents cannot be increased by more than 4% each year.

They are areas where rents are above the national average and rising quickly. Rent pressure zones are intended to control the rise in rents in these areas. An area must meet specific criteria to become a rent pressure zone.

Most rent increases in rent pressure zones are capped at 4% and there are limits on how often the rent can be reviewed.

Continued below…


There are different rules about the limits and frequency of rent reviews, depending on whether the tenancy in the rent pressure zone is an existing or new tenancy.

However, not all properties in rent pressure zones are subject to the 4% restriction. Some properties are exempt. A landlord can seek an exemption for:

• A property that has not been let at any time in the previous two years

• A property where no previous tenancy existed that is a protected structure, or  in a protected structure or proposed protected structure and has not been let in the previous 12 months

• Properties that have been substantially changed (the RTB website has full details of the types of substantial change required)

Designated rent pressure zones will be in place until 31 December 2021. You can find out if you live in a rent pressure zone by visiting

Further information on rent pressure zones and a calculator to calculate the maximum allowable rent in a rent pressure zone is also available from

Further information is available from the Citizens Information Centre below.

• Contact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860 Killarney 0761 07 7820, Listowel 0761 07 7840 Kenmare 0761 07 7810, & Caherciveen 0761 07 7780. Outreach Services; Killorglin weekly, Dingle monthly, please call Tralee for more information.

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000

Comments are closed.