PHOTOS: O’Rahilly’s In Relegation Dogfight After Loss To Great Rivals Stacks

Posted by


Austin Stacks 1-15

Kerins O’Rahilly’s 0-9

Barry John Keane attempts to get past Ronan Shanahan. Photo by Dermot Crean

Kerins O’Rahilly’s will face either Dingle or Kilcummin to decide their senior status fate for 2018, after a heavy defeat to age-old rivals Austin Stacks in the Garveys Supervalu Senior Football Championship Relegation Playoff Round 1 last night in Austin Stack Park.

Stacks superiority was evident in the first half as they enjoyed the lion’s share of possession – against the wind – and were able to work scores much better than their opponents. They led 1-7 to 0-5 at the break and rattled off five more scores without reply on the resumption to kill off the game.

Continued below…


Stacks, despite playing against that strong breeze, started the first half better and went two up through Greg Horan and David Mannix before Strand Road replied with frees from Jack Savage and Barry John Keane.

Darragh O’Brien and Michael O’Donnell put the Rock two ahead before one of two key first half incidents. On 14 minutes, Strand Road goalkeeper’s short kickout went straight into the hands of Shane O’Callaghan who rounded the keeper to slot in the goal.

Shane O’Callaghan rounds the keeper…

…and celebrates the goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

Stacks were in control and added two further points before a Jack Savage free reduced the deficit to six points.

With two minutes to the break, Kerins O’Rahillys had a golden chance to cut the gap to three after Con Barrett was brought down in the square by Ronan Shanahan, who was black-carded.

Barry John Keane stepped up but his low driven shot was stopped by David Hennessy for a 45, which David Moran pointed.

David Hennessy deflects Barry John Keane’s penalty for a 45. Photo by Dermot Crean


Any hope of a Kerins O’Rahillys revival was snuffed out by Stacks’ blistering start to the second half as they led 1-12 to 0-5 after 42 minutes. Tommy Walsh going off injured early in the half didn’t help the Blues either.

Not even Shane Carroll’s dismissal after 49 minutes – after a second yellow – could aid the Strand Road cause as they ended up defeated by double scores.

Both sides now prepare for this year’s county championship first round ties. Both have home advantage as Kerins O’Rahillys face South Kerry and Austin Stacks host St Kieran’s. Whether Kerins O’Rahillys will play in next year’s championship remains to be seen. Scroll down for photos…

Jack Morgan tries to evade the tackle of Tommy Walsh. Photo by Dermot Crean


David Mannix tries to dispossess Karl Mullins. Photo by Dermot Crean

Gavin O’Brien and Michael O’Connell contest a kickout. Photo by Dermot Crean

Shane Carroll tackles Danny O’Sullivan. Photo by Dermot Crean

David Mannix gets unwanted attention from David Moran and from David Moran and Ross O’Callaghan. Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.