PHOTOS/REPORT: Lixnaw And Ballyduff Prevail In Opening Round Of Championship

Posted by


Mike O’Halloran was at the two Garvey’s SuperValu Kerry Hurling Championship opening games in Austin Stack Park last night…

Lixnaw 0-16

Kilmoyley 1-12

Brendan Brosna of Lixnaw has a close eye on Jordan Brick. Photo by Dermot Crean

The championship began on Saturday evening in Austin Stack Park, in the opening game Kilmoyley fell to last years finalists Lixnaw by a point.

Colin Sheehy got Lixnaw off the mark with a point within a minute with a fine strike into the wind.
On ten minutes the sides were level with points from placed balls by Daniel Collins and Shane Conway with two points each.

John Redmond comes away with the ball. Photo by Dermot Crean

Ten minutes later Kilmoyley had taken a two point lead 7 points to 4 when Daniel Collins pointed following a mistake by Brendan Brosnan.

Shane Conway reduced the margin to one point with two more frees to leave the halftime score Kilmoyley 0-7 points Lixnaw 0-5 points.

Continued below…


Darragh McElligott chases with Maurice O’Connor close behind. Photo by Dermot Crean

The first half was a pretty dire affair the second half was little better but not by much.

Young Shane McElligott levelled matters for Lixnaw within two minutes of the restart. Lixnaw went three in front but Joe McElligott got one back for Kilmoyley.

James Godley clears with Jeremy McKenna watching. Photo by Dermot Crean

Daniel Collins had two further frees to level matters and Jordan Brick had Kilmoyley ahead with ten minutes to go.

Four points in a row for Lixnaw saw Lixnaw regain their three point advantage with three from Shane Conway and one from Ricky Heffernan.

On sixty one minutes Daniel Collins went for goal from a twenty metre free but was unsuccessful and he must have thought that Kilmoyley were finished, but two minutes later he got another free and lashed that to the net to level it.

The Lixnaw defence watch as the ball hits the back of the net. Photo by Dermot Crean

Daniel Collins celebrates his injury time goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

From the puck out, Ricky Heffernan was fouled and Shane Conway stepped up and split the posts for a one point victory 0-16 to 1-12.

Kilmoyley will have a close eye on the draw for the next round on Monday but in order for them to continue in the championship they will need a huge improvement in form and they must find scores from play.

Two Kilmoyley men reach for the sky. Photo by Dermot Crean

Jordan Brick gets his shot away despite Brendan Brosnan’s efforts. Photo by Dermot Crean

Ballyduff 4-19

Abbeydorney 3-7

Mikey Boyle about to hit one. Photo by Dermot Crean

The second game on Saturday evening saw Ballyduff put their crown on the block.

Ballyduff had only about two weeks training in the tank, but it didn’t look like that for the first ten minutes as they raced into five point lead with four points from Padraig Boyle and one from Daniel O’Carroll.

Ballyduff were on top in all ares of the pitch controlling the game into a stiff wind with power, precision passing and ability to win primary possession.

Continued below…


Ballyduff led by five points at halftime 1-10 to 1-5, that was after they had failed to convert two penalties and gifted a goal to P.J Keane from a fumbled puck out.

Michael Slattery, who was Abbeydorney’s best forward, did put Abbeydorney ahead for two minutes on 27 minutes.

Abbeydorney had a dream start to the second half when Nigel Roche, who was introduced at halftime, goaled. Ballyduff added five points without reply and one of these points could have been a goal as Jack Goulding took the paint off the crossbar.

A magnificent catch under pressure. Photo by Dermot Crean

Michael Slattery stopped the rot for Abbeydorney with a point on 43 minutes to leave the score Ballyduff 1-16 Abbeydorney 2-6.

Three minutes later, Brian O’Donovan had a penalty saved by P.J O’Gorman, shortly after Daniel O’Carroll found Aiden Boyle who found the net. Aiden added another on forty nine minutes.

David Egan had a great goal for Abbeydorney but it was only a little respite from the tempest created by the champions, as Jack Goulding added another net shaker.

Brendan O’Leary had the final score of the game when he fired over point. If Ballyduff continue this form they are going to be very hard to beat.

The Abbeydorney side face the flag for the national anthem. Photo by Dermot Crean

Ballyduff stand for the national anthem. Photo by Dermot Crean

Mikey Boyle tries to evade the attention of Abbeydorney players. Photo by Dermot Crean

Brendan O’Leary just misses a catch. Photo by Dermot Crean

Action from the game. Photo by Dermot Crean

Action from the game. Photo by Dermot Crean

Niall Mahoney comes away chased by Jack O’Sullivan

David Egan catches. Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.