REPORT/PHOTOS: Warriors Edge Epic Battle To Down Templeogue Again

Posted by


Alan Cantwell saw Garvey’s Tralee Warriors win another game on the road in the Men’s Super League last night…

Templeogue 93

Garvey’s Tralee Warriors 99

Action from the game. Photo by Liam Ryan

Garvey’s Tralee Warriors outplayed, outsmarted and, for the second time in a month, outpointed Templeogue on their home court to record another famous win just four weeks after their National Cup victory at the Oblate Hall.

In a totally absorbing and at times utterly breathless encounter the Warriors dug deep into their resources to bring the game back from the brink midway through the third quarter to see them win out in an epic finale.

In a thoroughly entertaining first quarter Neil Randolph and Jason Killeen exchanged early scores with Jordan Evans and Kieran Donaghy before Randolph hit the first major of the night.

Continued below…


The Warriors hit back with two from Paul Dick and the Warriors point guard then provided a glorious assist for a close range effort from Dusan Bogdanovic.

Killeen and Dee Proby pushed the home side ahead before Evans fired in his first three and Fergal O’Sullivan did likewise to level the scores after two from Randolph and a typical airborne effort from Lorcan Murphy.

Action from the game. Photo by Liam Ryan

Eoin Quigley and new signing Keith Jumper edged the Warriors ahead before Templeogue embarked on a devastating raid on the visitors basket.

Randolph, Proby, and Arcilla shared twelve points between them as the hosts raced to a 32-22 lead. Bogdanovic stopped the rot with his second of the night to see Templeogue end the quarter eight ahead.

A three from O’Sullivan and a score under the board from Bogdanovic cut the lead early in the second but Templeogue were getting to the basket and finding their scores that bit easier.

With Arcilla, Killeen and the very effective Randolph on the mark the home side opened up a 44-35 advantage despite to threes from Evans and Quigley for the Warriors.

The visitors quickly switched up to a full press and this unnerved the hosts allowing Evans shoot three from three from the line and when Paul Dick and Jumper also found the target the lead was cut to one.

Action from the game. Photo by Liam Ryan

Proby and Killeen eased Templeogue ahead again before Proby dropped in two potentially gamechanging three pointers to see Templeogue lead 54-46 at the long break.

Killeen and Proby combined to put fourteen between the sides early in the third before Donaghy and Paul Dick hauled the Warriors back from the brink with two scores apiece.

Dumburs got to the board for the Warriors to bridge the gap further but the home side looked best placed to drive for home half way through the quarter.

The elusive Randolph continued to torment the Warriors defence and when he added six and Stephen James laid up the Red and White army led by 10.

But in a sensational turnaround the Warriors launched a stunning offensive assault on the Templeogue net and with Evans, Jumper, Dumburs, O’Sullivan, Donaghy and Paul Dick adding thirteen unanswered points the visitors all of a sudden led this amazing game by three.

The home side were now uncharacteristically at sixes and sevens but in the final act of the quarter Proby found the composure to cut the lead to 72-71 as the sides straightened up for home.

Pat Price’s charges stormed into the final installment of the drama with three turnovers in quick succession that saw Paul Dick, Evans and Quigley all profit at the board and in an instant the Warriors now led by nine.

Paul Dick and Quigley were again on the mark but when Padraig Burke found his first score of the night and Murphy and Randolph added the lead was cut to four.

Paul Dick then produced two stunning plays firstly turning over the ball yet again and hit two from two from the resulting foul, then firing in an inspirational three to keep the Warriors advantage intact.

Evans then stepped into position to arc in another brilliant three from the corner to put the Warriors 92-84 up.

Templeogue were now completely rattled and when Murphy and Proby could only shoot one from four from the line the visitors dared to believe that they could prevail again.

The home side did however produce a finish to the game worthy of their reputation and James, and Proby cut the gap to a single point.

But time and fouls were working against them and as the seconds ticked down, the Warriors free throws all dropped and Templeogue’s fate was sealed.

It was perhaps fitting that the outstanding Paul Dick landed the final scores of the absorbing battle and give the Warriors a deserved 99-92 win.

Top scorers: Garvey’s Tralee Warriors: Paul Dick 29, Jordan Evans, 22, Eoin Quigley 13

Templeogue: Neil Randolph 32, Dee Proby 29, Jason Killeen 17

• Next up for the Warriors is the eagerly awaited National Cup quarterfinal date with arch rivals UCC Demons in the Tralee Sports Complex next Sunday with a 3.30pm tip off.

There may not even be standing room at the home of the Warriors as they bid to reach the Cup semi final for the first time. The advice is get there early and expect a classic.

Comments are closed.