REPORT/PHOTOS: Ballyduff Snatch Victory Over Causeway With Late Goal

Posted by


Mike O’Halloran saw Ballyduff’s late show snuff out Causeway’s challenge in the Round 3 Garvey’s Supervalu Kerry SHC clash on Sunday afternoon in Austin Stack Park…

Ballyduff 1-10  

Causeway 0-12

Padraig O’Grady celebrates at the final whistle. Photo by Dermot Crean

Ballyduff had played with the aid of a stiff wind in the first half but it was Causeway from the stick of Keith Carmody that led after six minutes by two points.

Eoin Ross came up with a point from distance thirty seconds later, Carmody then converted a 65 with Liam Boyle and Gary O’Brien adding a point each.

Continued below…


Disaster befell Causeway when they lost their experienced keeper – he received a strike of a hurley to his helmet. Padraigh Boyle was issued with a yellow card as the referee deemed it to be accidental.

Billy Lyons and Padraig Boyle exchanged points before Colum Harty levelled matters 5 points all. Aiden Boyle and Thomas Casey had a point each with four minutes to the short whistle.

Padraig Boyle sent Ballyduff in at halftime a point up 0-7 to 0-6.

Causeway opened brightly in the second period they saw a goal chance and two point chances squandered.

Aiden Boyle and Anthony Fealy tussle for possession. Photo by Dermot Crean

Six minutes into the half Michael Boyle was red carded and Ballyduff were down to fourteen. His brother Padraig pointed a free, the next five scores came from Causeway with the best score of the championship coming when Billy Lyons drove through the Ballyduff rear guard. He used every skill in the hurling lexicon before tapping over.

Continued below…


Causeway leading now by three 0-11 to 0-8, Jack O’Sullivan was fouled on fifty minutes Padraig Boyle planted the free between the posts.

Eight minutes later Padraig Boyle powered over a 65, Billy Lyons replied,  Gary O’Brien was reintroduced following being replaced earlier in the half.

A ball dropped in Gary swung the ball rattled the net, 1-10 to 0-12. Causeway had another chance to level it but Ballyduff held out.

Gary O’Brien celebrates his late goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

Causeway will curse their lack of confidence in front of goal where, with a little more self-belief, they could have at least tested PJ Gorman.

Their wide count was also a problem especially in the second half where they shot from distance with the wind to their backs.

The talk before the game was that the wet conditions might be a factor, but both teams dealt with the wind and rain, it wasn’t a quality game but the effort was intense.

Continued below…


Ballyduff have stumbled into a semifinal but they won’t mind how they got there and with the return of Jack Goulding and Daniel Carroll along with more game time for Ally O’Connor and Padraig Grady they will match anybody such is their self belief and never say die attitude. SCROLL DOWN FOR MORE PHOTOS…

Thomas Casey gets his shot in despite Padraig O’Grady’s efforts. Photo by Dermot Crean

Thomas Slattery gets control with Jason Leahy close-by. Photo by Dermot Crean

Continued below…


Padraig Boyle scores from a free. Photo by Dermot Crean

Stephen Goggin and Eoin Ross compete for possession with Aiden Boyle behind. Photo by Dermot Crean

Ally O’Connor and Stephen Murphy in action. Photo by Dermot Crean


Thomas Casey gets to the sliotar with Padraig O’Grady and Stephen Murphy on the ground. Photo by Dermot Crean

Jason Diggins clears the ball. Photo by Dermot Crean

Padraig O’Grady makes a flying tackle on Thomas Casey. Photo by Dermot Crean

Jack O’Sullivan gets his shot away despite Mark Murphy’s attempt to block. Photo by Dermot Crean

Mikey Boyle looks to Padraig O’Grady to celebrate at the final whistle. Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.