PHOTOS: St Brendan’s Get Past Ballyheigue In Gruelling Affair

Posted by
Kerry ETB insert


Ardfert's, Darren Dineen, races at the Ballyheigue defence. Photo by Gavin O'Connor.

St Brendan’s Darren Dineen races at the Ballyheigue defence. Photo by Gavin O’Connor.

St Brendans 0-10

Ballyheigue 0-9

AS has happened so often in the past, John Egan, was the hero for St Brendan’s as they just about got over Ballyheigue in a gruelling encounter in  Causeway on Sunday afternoon.

With his team trailing by a point and playing against a stiff breeze, Egan hit over two points in a row inside the last five minutes to put his side in the quarter-final draw and Ballyheigue out of the championship.

Though the pitch and set-up in Causeway was top class for the second match of a Senior Hurling County Championship double header, the weather was anything but.

Continued below…

Aquadome Insert Ad


For the entirety of the game, a strong wind blew into the changing room goals of the match. In the first half St Brendan’s, had the benefit of the breeze, but did not make the most of it.

With the sides level, three points apiece, Ballyheigue conjured up a terrific goal chance. When the ball landed in the St Brendan’s square, three different Ballyheigue players had a chance to hit the ball to the net, but their attempts were deflected out eventually for a 65.

Story continues below…

St Brendans, Fionan Mackessy, attempts to control the sliotar. Photo by Gavin O'Connor.

St Brendan’s Fionan Mackessy, attempts to control the sliotar. Photo by Gavin O’Connor.

The Ardfert side hit eight wides in the first half and only went in at the break a point in front which put them on shaky ground, the score 0-4 to 0-5.

Ballyhegue got off to a great start to the half when, Philip Lucid, pointed from a free to bring the sides level. But this score was answered by three points without reply from St Brendan’s John Egan frees.

blasket insert new

Lucid  found his rhythm again however and hit three of his own and the sides were level once more going into the final quarter of the match.

With ten minutes left, Ballyheigue midfielder, Tommy O’Connor, scored an inspiring point from out on the the sideline, utilisng some excellent stick work to control the ball and nail a point.

That would be their final score as St Brendan’s, with the aid of Darren Dineen, who started to dominate the game were the team in control.

Story continues below…

Ballyheigue's, Paudie Carroll, attempts to hook, St Brendan's, Fionan Mackessy. Photo by Gvain O'Connor.

Ballyheigue’s, Paudie Carroll, attempts to hook St Brendan’s Fionan Mackessy. Photo by Gvain O’Connor.

With five minutes left on the clock, John Egan struck the equaliser as he raced through the heart of the Ballyhegue defence. Minutes later he would grab the winner, when he cooly converted another free, his fifth of the day.

In the closing exchanges, Ballyheigue, couldn’t create a scoring opportunity as their championship ambitions faded in the wind and rain of Causeway.

The win puts St Brendan’s into the quarter-final draw, where they will feel they have much to improve if they are to get to the promised land once more.

More photos below…


St Brendan’s: John Egan 0-7, Tim Hannafin, Kieran Fitzgearld and Kevin Skinner one point apiece

Ballyheigue: Philip Lucid 0-7 (7), Damian Casey and Tommy O’Connor one point apiece

St Brendan’s: Darren Delaney (capt), Rory Horgan, Jerry Wallace, Kieran Fitzgearld, Eamon Corridan, Darren Dineen, Kevin Orpin, Fionan Horgan, Eric Leen, David Griffin, Kevin Skinner, Stephen Leen, Fionan Mackessy, Tim Hannafin, John Egan

Substitutions: Conor Flaherty for Fionan Horgan (54), Jack Savage for Jerry Wallace (54), Brendan O’Connor for Daniel Finnegan (57)

Ballyheigue: John Mike Pierce, Danny Casey, Jason Casey, Mark Dineen, Colin O’Mahoney, Mikey O’Halloran, Jason Griffin, Paudie Carroll, Tommy O’Connor, Shane Dunne, Damian Casey, Philip Lucid, Adrian Flahive, Tomas Casey, Michael Leane

Substitutions: Diarmuid Walsh for Michael Leane (46), Mark Regan for Adrian Flahive (52)

Referee: Diarmuid Kirwin (Cork)

St Brendan's, Fionan Mackessy, attempts to break the tackle. Photo by Gavin O'Connor.

St Brendan’s Fionan Mackessy attempts to break the tackle. Photo by Gavin O’Connor.

St Brendans's Darren Dineen, on the move. Photo by Gavin O'Connor.

St Brendan’s Darren Dineen on the move. Photo by Gavin O’Connor.

Comments are closed.