Tralee Parnells GAA Club News

Posted by


On behalf of the entire club, we offer our sincere sympathies to the O’Sullivan family on the recent death of Mike Roger’s mother Úna. Ar dheis Dé go raibh a h-anam dílís.

Senior Hurling
Tralee Parnells 1-25

Kilgarvan 2-21 (aet)


Tralee Parnells faced Kilgarvan in the Intermediate Championship Semi-Final in Lewis Road last Sunday. In a repeat of last year’s semi-final at the same venue 13 months ago, this was always going to be a tight game. Parnells had boosted their squad in the last year but Kilgarvan aren’t 2-in-a-row Intermediate champions for nothing. Parnells made 1 change from the team that beat St Brendans in the quarter final, with Cathal Dunne replacing Daniel Teahan. Dunne started at midfield with Luke Chester moving to corner forward. Parnells got off to the brighter start and thanks to the clinical free taking of Gearoid O’Doherty were 0-5 to 0-2 ahead at the first water break. Kilgarvan were being punished for some silly fouls and on a number of occasions the ball was moved forward to more scoreable positions for dissent. By half time, Parnells had increased their lead to 0-10 to 0-05, with all but 2 points coming from O’Doherty frees. Kilgarvan could have been closer but for a flying save by Mark Ryall in the Parnells goal from a well-worked Kilgarvan move just before half-time.

The second half was a different affair. The introduction of John Mark Foley for Kilgarvan changed the complexion of the game. Most of the puck-outs were aimed his way and he was winning the majority of them and giving a great supply of ball to his inside forwards.

In fact, it took only 30 seconds of the second half for Kilgarvan to raise a green flag with a cracking goal from corner forward Daniel Casey, who would finish with 2-3 on the day.

Kilgarvan followed the goal with 3 further points from play, so a five point deficit turned into a 1 point lead. Parnells needed to stop the rot and they did so by some more inspired free taking by O’Doherty.

By the 2nd half water break, Parnells had edged back in front 0-15 to 1-10, with Andrew Morrissey, who was playing as a 3rd midfielder, giving Parnells a bit of breathing space with a great point from play, after Darragh Reen had hit the post.

Gearoid Fennessy was proving a thorn in Parnells side and he struck a sweet sideline cut on 20 minutes to cut the gap to one point again. Three more unanswered points from Kilgarvan had them back in front, with only a Doherty point from play in return. With time running out, another long ball from Foley resulted in Casey finishing to the net again and Parnells were now 4 points down.

The clock was in the red and Parnells needed a goal. A close in free from O’Doherty resulted in a ‘65’ which Morrissey floated in to the small square. Brian Lonergan got his stick to it but it looked like Kilgarvan had cleared the danger.

However, the Kilgarvan defender was adjudged to have stepped over the line and the referee, John Ross, in consultation with his umpires awarded a goal. With the last attack of the game, Parnells were awarded another free and O’Doherty made no mistake to bring the game to extra time. Full-time score Tralee Parnells 1-19 Kilgarvan 2-16.

Kilgarvan were fastest out of the blocks in extra time with 2 quick points, but Lonergan responded with a great point from play, his second of the day, though in truth it probably should have gone under the bar. Parnells finished the half the better with 2 further points from play, including one from Darragh Reen, who until then had been well shackled by the Kilgarvan defence.

Parnells were a point ahead with the last 10 minutes to play 1-22 2-18. Kilgarvan centre-forward Glyn Egan, having gone off in normal time with a serious shoulder injury, returned in extra time and got an inspirational score for Kilgarvan. Reen responded with another superb point from distance. Kilgarvan levelled the match again with 2 minutes left and it was fittingly left to man of the match O’Doherty to close out the match with another long range free.

Kilgarvan did have one last attempt to rescue a draw, but after a nerve-wracking goalmouth scramble the ball was cleared and Ross blew the final whistle. Parnells, for sheer guts and determination, probably just about deserved their win, but they can’t be as reliant on Doherty, who finished with 18 points, 17 from frees, in the final vs Dr. Crokes. In the meantime, the team can savour this victory and prepare for their 1st final in Austin Stacks Park in a few weeks time. Full-time Extra Time: Tralee Parnells 1-25 Kilgarvan 2-21

Team: Mark Ryall, Diarmuid Brennan (c), Tim Kelliher, Enda O’Connor, Ruairí O’Sullivan, Luke Barrett, Ciarán Breen, Cathal Dunne, Tadhg Brick, Gearóid O’Doherty (0-18, 0-17 f), Darragh Reen (0-2), Cillian O’Riordan (0-1), Andrew Morrissey (0-1), Brian Lonergan (1-2), Luke Chester (0-1)

Subs used: Tom Crowley, Eoghan McKivergan, Niall Fitzmaurice, Daire Keane

U16 Hurling
Tralee Parnells 3-09 South Kerry 1-07

Our U16s qualified for the Plate Final with a great win over South Kerry in Fossa last Thursday evening. As with the previous match, they defeated an opponent who previously had their measure.

South Kerry started the better, finding the net within the first few minutes. However the Parnells boys didn’t panic and Andrew Kerins replied with a goal and Parnells went a goal ahead when the ball was bundled over the line. By half time, the boys had opened up a 6 point lead with some great point scoring 2-4 1-1. In what was at times a scrappy affair, South Kerry narrowed the gap via converted frees, which was their only outlet for scores in the second half. Jack Doyle, who covered every blade of grass, was keeping Parnells out of reach with some great freetaking of his own. The highlight of the evening came when Colm Browne went on one of his trademark solo runs and crashed the ball to the net. South Kerry heads dropped after that and Parnells were able to close out the game with further points from Browne, Doyle and Daragh Moloney. Final score Parnells 3-09 South Kerry 1-07. Parnells will play either St Brendans or Rathmore in the Final on Sunday 13th September.

U14 Hurling

Tralee Parnells 3-6 St Brendans 4-16
Our U14s faced a strong St Brendans side for the 2nd time in the Co League in Caherslee last Saturday evening. Unlike the previous meeting, the Parnells boys certainly put it up to St Brendans and had their measure for the 1st half. The boys continued where they left off against Kenmare and had 1-3 on the board without reply, the goal coming from captain Sean Barrett.

Ardfert did get a goal back via a 14m free but Parnells had their noses in front at the water break. Dan Maloney was playing the sweeper role to perfection assisting the defence in providing a good supply of ball to the forwards. Another 2 goals followed, a poachers goal from Odhran Kerins and a Liam Cooper goal which came at the end of a free flowing move. Ardfert did pull a goal back before half time, but Parnells still had the upper hand 3-5 2-6. The 2nd half was a different story with St Brendans upping the ante.

They took the lead via a fortuitous goal following a mishit free and really never looked back. Another goal followed but the boys never gave up and the hooking and blocking was a joy to behold. Unfortunately Parnells only added 1 further point to their tally but in truth had a few near misses as well. Overall, this was a gritty performance against the best team in Kerry, and definitely shows the progress that has been made throughout the season. With Kenmare surprisingly beating Ballyduff, 3 teams finished level on 2 points for second place so we await to hear about a possible playoff.

Under 8s
Our under 8s welcomed Ballyheigue to Caherslee last Tuesday night and put on a great display of skill for all to see. Congratulations to Oran who was player of the week.

Under 6s
Our under 6s were also out in Caherslee on Tuesday night and they too are enjoying themselves and having fun and showing how their skills are coming on since hurling resumed in July.

U12 Camogie

Parnells 4-1 Cillard 1-1
The u12 Royal Blue camogie team celebrated a comprehensive win over Cillard in Caherslee on Wednesday night in round 3 of the Co. League. The girls are gelling well as a team and played some lovely hurling.  They made great use of space and Anna’s rousing speech in the team huddle set the tone for the evening.  The girls showed determination from the outset and worked hard all over the pitch. Their hard work really paid off in the third quarter when they began to pull away from the opposition.  Final score Parnells 4:1 CillArd 1:1. Thanks to David Brick and Damien Kissane for setting up pitch for the game. The Royal Blue team will play Killarney in the Div A Co. League semi-final on Wed Sept 16th.

The Amber team played a strong and physical Ballyduff team also on Wednesday night. While they stuck with Ballyduff until the first water break, they couldn’t subsequently get enough scores on the board but they battled well until the end.

…to our hurlers and camogie players that received their Leaving Certificate results on Monday. In what was a really strange year for them, we wish them the best in whatever the future holds for them.

Comments are closed.