Kerins O’Rahillys GAA Club News

Posted by

Credit Union Co League Div 1

Dingle 3-08 Kerins O’Rahillys 4-13

This Round 4 game was played in glorious sunshine in Dingle on Sunday last.  It was great to see a big crowd at the game, including many visitors to our shores.

The victory certainly keeps O’Rahillys in third place at the business end of the table following defeats for Legion and Austin Stacks, with the next game v Stacks taking on extra significance – if that’s possible when those two rivals meet.

But first, an understrength O’Rahillys had to take care of business against a Dingle side also shorn of their county players and it didn’t take the Strand Road men long to get into gear.

In the very first minute a Dingle kickout was intercepted by Paidi Griffin who transferred it quickly to Barry John Keane and he slotted home into the bottom right corner.  Young Conor Hayes then added to his growing reputation and scoring tally when he cut in from the left wing and fired right-footed over the bar.

Then, a minute later, a move involving Jack Savage, Tom Hoare and Keane saw the final ball transferred into overlapping centre-back Karl Mullins who slid home to give the Tralee men a seven- point lead after just five minutes.

Dingle registered their first score in reply, a point from play after nine minutes and for the next 14 minutes the sides shared six points, with Strand Road’s tally being made up of a fine finish from Darragh McElligott after an impressive 20-metre solo, another from Keane after Savage and Hoare combined again and a converted free from Savage after a fine fetch from Hoare.

Although six points up, or maybe because they had that cushion, O’Rahillys started to play very deep, inviting Dingle onto them and they paid the ultimate price in the 25th minute when Dingle’s pressing finally yielded the goal they had been threatening.

This only served to shake Strand Road from their slumber however and two minutes later, another good run from Mullins saw him feed Hayes, whose high ball into the square broke for Ryan Carroll who rattled the ball into the net.

The sides then exchanged points with Savage converting a placed ball off the upright and Dingle responding in kind with the last kick of the first half to leave the score 3-05 to 1-05 in the Tralee side’s favour at the break.

O’Rahillys introduced Johnny Keane for Rory O’Connor on the resumption, but Dingle started strongly and converted a free with their first attack from the throw-in.  Undaunted, O’Rahillys went on to control the next 15 minutes.

Johnny Keane made his presence felt after six minutes when he picked out Hayes who kicked a lovely score from 30 metres and then Con Barrett surged upfield and linked with both Johnny and Barry John Keane to find Savage who fisted home at the far post.

Hayes then added another point from play after getting on the end of a fine diagonal pass.  Savage followed up with a converted free and then played a fine cross-field ball to Johnny Keane who picked out Mullins’s run and the final pass went to Barry John Keane who slotted over to make it 4-09 to 1-06 in favour of O’Rahillys.

However, just when all seemed lost for Dingle and perhaps with the visitors getting complacent, the home side worked a good move and finished to the net to cut the gap to nine points and it took a timely intervention from Ross O’Callaghan to prevent Dingle adding to their tally.

The West Kerry men did convert a free, but the Blues answered with another from Hayes after he cut in from left to right and the kickout was fielded beautifully by Barrett who offloaded to Hoare who kicked a beautiful score from 35 metres.

However, with O’Rahillys maybe feeling too comfortable once again, they turned over possession from a short kickout and Dingle worked the ball inside and extracted the maximum dividend to make it 4-11 to 3-07.

Sensing that this might be their final opportunity, Dingle pressed again and it took a super intervention from Sean Collins to prevent the creation of another goal chance.  Spurred on, O’Rahillys surged downfield and Savage found Barry John Keane who kicked a super score from 21 metres.

Dingle, to their credit, never gave up and replied with a lovely point from 30 metres, but O’Rahillys kept their composure and just as importantly kept possession to set up Savage who sent over a marvellous point from 28 metres to complete the scoring.

The only black spot in the game was the second yellow card awarded to Barry John Keane after a skirmish in added time, when the experienced attacker seemed to be protecting his young teammate Conor Hayes, but this did not detract unduly from an entertaining, skilful and  otherwise very sporting occasion.

Kerins O’Rahillys: G Kissane; D Murphy, R O’Callaghan, S Collins; D McElligott (0-1), K Mullins (1-0), R Carroll (1-0); S Brosnan, C Barrett; T Hoare (0-1), J Savage (1-4, 0-3f), R O’Connor; P Griffin, BJ Keane (1-3), C Hayes (0-4).  Subs used: J Keane, B Scannell, D O’Brien, G Hartnett.

Credit Union Co League Div 5

Dingle B 3-15 Kerins O’Rahillys B 1-07

Our Senior B team were very much second best as Dingle used home advantage and no little football ability to cash in on their opportunity to climb the table.

In fairness, the unavailability of players to O’Rahillys proved crucial once again and the depleted 17-man squad that made the trip back west, including five players who featured in the preceding game, put in a valiant effort before being overcome.

O’Rahillys did start brightly and Johnny Keane opened the scoring with a fine point from play, but Dingle had 1-2 on the board over the next seven minutes, with a superb double-save from Shane Foley keeping O’Rahillys in touch.

Brian Scannell kicked a good point from play in the 10th minute to reduce the deficit to one goal but Dingle dominated the rest of the first half, adding another seven points, six from play.  In fact, it took a fantastic full-length save from Shane Foley in the 20th minute to ensure that Dingle were restricted to leading by 1-9 to 0-2 at half time.

The westerners kept up their momentum on the restart and kicked four more points from play until the 11th minute when Keane converted a free for O’Rahillys following a foul on Jason O’Leary.  Dingle responded emphatically when a high ball into square, a source of danger for Strand Road all game, was fisted home, but O’Rahillys replied in kind and immediately when Keane picked out Donagh O’Brien’s diagonal run and the half forward rifled a left-footed effort back across the keeper into the far corner of the net.  Strand Road won the resulting kickout and O’Brien curled another effort over the crossbar to make it 2-13 to 1-4.

Dingle added another brace of points from play, but O’Rahillys continued their best spell of the game with three points in reply, two from play courtesy of Keane and Scannell respectively and a free from Darragh Fitzgerald.  Dingle had the final say though with another goal and point from play to close out the scoring.

Kerins O’Rahillys: S Foley; B Foley, T McGrath, K Mangan (Capt); R O’Connor, J O’Leary, A Mangan; R O’Connor, R Molloy; D O’Brien (1-1), B Scannell (0-2), G Hartnett; C Gallagher, J Keane (0-3), D Fitzgerald (0-1). Subs: K Clifford


Juvenile Academy

Ballyrickard was a hub of activity on Sunday morning last as we welcomed the John Mitchels’ club to Healy Park.  The blue & white was proudly displayed by all the children and all age groups had plenty of fun playing some friendly games with our visiting neighbours.

There was a big crowd of parents watching on and enjoying the local banter and gossip amongst club members.  They all enjoyed a warm cup of tea or coffee and the home baking on offer was delicious.

Due to the Mitchels’ visit, only our U6s chose their players of the week and this week it’s a big congratulations to


U6 Boys – Ronan Hobbert

U6 Girls – Neasa Behan

The Academy will kick off again next Sunday at 11am in Ballyrickard.

U12 Boys

We started off Phase 2 of the country league on Sunday evening last with a game away to Dingle.  We had a disappointing first half, the highlights of which were fine points from Ryan Onyekwere, Jamie McCarthy and Luke O’Brien.  The opposition had a great first half, scoring 2 -11 and this left us in big trouble going into half time.

The second half saw a complete turnaround from the boys and they started to play much better football.  Evan Daly put in a great second half display, pulling off some great saves and his kickouts were excellent.

Cillian McGrath, Conor and Oisin Cronin and Daniel Aneke really stepped up a gear and worked tirelessly in defence, only allowing Dingle score seven points in the entire half.  Brayden Pierce and Ruairí Kennedy pulled out all the stops and covered every inch of the field.

The forwards had it all to do, but went on to put in an unbelievable effort.  Brendán Meehan totally tormented the Dingle backs after the restart and William Higgins, Luke O’Brien and Daniel Mc Carthy linked very well and gave some great passes to set up some wonderful scores.

With only a few minutes left and three points down it looked like it was all over, but Jamie Mc Carthy rattled the ball into the top corner of the net and all was level.  All eyes were on the ref to blow the whistle which he eventually did and both teams were happy to come away with one point each.

It certainly was a game of two halves!  We scored 5-06 in the second half.  William Higgins got two lovely points, Brendán Meehan got a great point after a fine run from midfield and Jamie McCarthy ended up with 3-04 for his day’s work.

However, Man of the Match has to go without doubt to Ryan Onyekwere who put in the brilliant display, especially in the second half when he was really needed.  He got on every breaking ball and just seemed to turn up everywhere.  He ended up scoring 2-01.

The silent sideline was in effect and seemed to work ok, although towards the end admittedly, the excitement might have gotten the better of us in what was a thrilling finish.

Our next game is at home to Beale on Sunday evening next, the 2nd June at 6pm.

U14 and U16 Boys

The U14s & U16s have no games as yet this week & will train as normal.

SNIPPETS from “top of the right”

·         Well done to Ben Hanafin, TJ Heaphy and Darragh O’Connor who all featured for the Kerry U15 Development Squad in their win over Kildare.

·         The Snippets Man bumped into Martin Nix recently, who told him he was taking a rest (well-earned of course).  Let’s hope it’s not too long before we see a refreshed Martin back in the club in some capacity.

·         Congratulations to Brendan and Linda Daly (née Gleeson) on the birth of baby Jack.

·         “Top of the Right” spotted Jack on the line already in Dingle on Sunday.

·         Any truth in the rumour that Jack nearly got a run in the B game?

Comments are closed.