Kerins O’Rahillys GAA Club News

Posted by


For the second successive year we exited the county championship at the semi final stage when losing to Dr Crokes on Sunday – there was little to choose between the sides for most of the game with the sides level with 10 minutes of normal time remaining but two late goals gave the Killarney side victory.

It was a disappointing end to the championship which promised so much but the lads are to be commended for the many sacrifices they made and their commitment since the beginning of the year – our year is not over with a county league final to come against Dr Crokes and a town championship final vs Austin Stacks.

Match report

A game that ebbed and flowed and was in the melting pot until the final 10 minutes eventually swung the way of the champions who goaled in the 53rd and 63rd minutes to send them through to the final for the sixth time in eight years.

The final score line ( 2-19 to 2-10) does scant justice to the proceedings when for the most part there was never more than a score between the sides.

Gavin O’Brien about to score his second goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

We started in the best possible fashion when in form half forward Gavin O’Brien burst through from the stand side following a lay off from Barry John and he found the net with a low drive for an inspirational score; Tommy soon added a point from play and we were 1-01 to nil in front before Kieran O’Leary found his range to slot over after just 6 minutes.

A major talking point before this score was the decision by the referee to issue a black card to Chuckie ( Carroll) who seemed to be going only for the ball and when he collided with O’Leary but the ref adjudged he was guilty of a hand trip and harshly sent him to the line.

The scores were level on a further two occasions but Dr Crokes were finding it easier to hit the target and were two to the good on 24 mins, 0-10 to 1-05 when a great ball into Barry John in the right corner saw him place a high ball across the square and Gavin O’Brien, alive to the threat gathered and goaled in the same movement.

A Kieran O’Leary point on the stroke of half time tied up the game though we were unlucky again when Tom Hoare made ground and laying off to Gavin it seemed a score was inevitable but Crokes somehow managed to clear – half time, 2-05 to 0-11.

Kerins O’Rahillys panel. Photo by Dermot Crean

The second half saw us take off where we left off with great play from David in the middle ably assisted by Con Barrett; Karl Mullins pointed after a great turnover by Con and David soon followed up to send us two into the lead; Tony Brosnan then levelled matters from play and a free before Jack Savage pointed following great work by Tom Hoare and again we led by one.

The next 10 minutes were frantic as first Gary Kissane pulled off a great stop from Johnny Buckley with Shane Murphy firing the resultant “45” to his left and wide; the kick out saw a melee develop and the referee issuing a 2nd yellow to Jack Savage reducing us to 14 men; Colm Cooper, in as a second half substitute was then dismissed on a black card before Shane Murphy found his range with a pointed “45” to tie up the game again. Murphy then had the depart the action when he was injured when fielding a long range ball and the “45” was duly landed by David to put us back in the lead again, 2-09 to 0-14.

Brian Looney then levelled the scores before Micheál Burns gave the champions the lead, for the first time,  all this after 53 mins.

From the resultant restart we went short but pressure on the defender resulted in a turnover and a goal from sub Jordan Kiely and he quickly added another point to send the Killarney side into a four point lead, 1-17 to 2-10. Johnny Buckley added another point and the game was as good as over when Crokes notched a second goal on 63 mins when we were turned over when on the attack.

The final whistle followed soon afterwards and Dr Crokes were through to another final – for our part, every man played his part in a pulsating game which was only decided in the final quarter. The loss of Chuckie so early in the game was a major blow and the injuries suffered by Gavin O’Brien and Barry John both in the first half curtailed their involvement – however, each and every player gave of their all in the quest to reach a county final and against any other opposition today it would have probably been good enough.

Team: Gary Kissane, Danny O’Sullivan, Ross O’Callaghan, Shane Brosnan, Chuckie Carroll, Karl Mullins (0-01), Cormac Coffey, David Moran ( 0-02, 1 “45”), Darragh McElligott, Jack Savage (0-03), Gavin O’Brien ( 2-01), Barry John Keane ( 0-02), Tommy Walsh ( 0-01), John Ferguson.

Subs: Tom Hoare, John C O’Connor, Gearóid Savage, Padraig Griffin.


There was no winner of last week’s lotto jackpot where the winning numbers drawn were: 8, 13, 18 & 29 – Patsy Murray matched 3 and wins €25. Next week’s jackpot will be for a prize of €2,800.

The five entrants for the special December draw ( 4 X €250) are as follows: Billy Brosnan, Alan Murphy, Pat McCarthy, Joan Griffin and Susan Callaghan.

Tickets €2/3 for €5 can be purchased from the club house and the following outlets: The Abbey Inn, Counihans ( Princes St), Jimmys on Strand Road & Foleys Spar, Castlemaine Rd.

We are very grateful to all who support this fund raiser with all funds going to the running costs of the club.


The club would like to offer its condolences to the McGillicuddy family of Kilcummin on the loss of their beloved son Niall, an under age player with Killarney Legion.

Also to the family of the late Paul Wallace of Lixnaw whose untimely death took place recently – Paul was chairman of Lixnaw GAA.

Ar dheis Dé go raibh a hanamacha dilis.


Development training continues in Ballyrickard this Saturday. Times TBC

Texts will be sent about U12 development training.

Unfortunately the town league blitz had to be cancelled last Saturday due to weather conditions. Another date will be set for it in the near future.

The District semi-finals and finals are fixed for Saturday, October 20th in The John Mitchels Complex. Throw in at 1.30p.m. More details to follow.

We met Beale / Ballyduff in the North Kerry Cup final, division 3  last Saturday in John Mitchels Complex. Unfortunately it was not to be our day. The girls faced brutal rain and wind as well as a very physical Beale / Ballyduff team. We were defeated on a score line of 4-05 to 3-05. Well done to everyone, you played your hearts out and well done to Declan and Tricia for all their hard work. After the game the girls were treated to food back in the club.


There will be a minor blitz in Ballyrickard on Monday, October 29th. Time TBC.

We are still awaiting the reminder of the cards to be returned before we have the draw for the Charlie’s Bar & Bistro voucher compliments of North Kerry. Please return asap.

We are still taking orders so your can text or phone Shirley ( 086) 8713552 or Adrian ( 085) 1500199 to order.

Comments are closed.