Know Your Rights: Student Grants And Renting 

Posted by


Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Supports Available

It’s that time of year where parents and their school leaving children are preparing for going to college for the first time.

The main financial support for students or their parents if they are perhaps moving out and starting college for the first time is the Student Grant from SUSI (Student Universal Support Ireland).

SUSI typically accepts late applications up until November. This is a means tested grant which may cover the fees (student contribution) and provide maintenance.

Continued below…


The limits that apply to the grant vary, but if the student was coming from a family with less than four dependent children, in order to qualify for the maximum rate of grant the total net income in the previous tax year would have to have been €39,875 or less.

That refers to both the parents income and the students income, however €4,500 of the student’s income which they earn outside term time e.g. during the summer will be disregarded.


If the student was getting the PUP payment because they lost their part time job due to the pandemic, this is taken into account.

Currently there are no disregards allowed for PUP payments.  If there is more than one student attending college from the same household, the limit may be increased by €4,830.

Maximum Student Grant

There are actually two different maximum rates of grant. There are referred to as the adjacent and non-adjacent rate.

The adjacent rate is for students living within 45km of the college and the non-adjacent rate is for students living more than 45km from the college.  The adjacent rate is €3,025.  The non-adjacent rate is €1,125.

There has always been a special higher rate of grant for disadvantaged students. To find out more, give us a call.

Student Assistance Fund

Yes, separate from the Student Grant from SUSI the Colleges have access to the Student Assistance Fund. Students can apply directly through their college for assistance with expenses such as books or laptops.

Typically, this involves completing an application form and going for a short interview in the college. There are no set amounts of funding under this scheme. The college will assess each application on its own merits.

Renting for the First Time

Don’t be tempted to pay a deposit or sign a tenancy agreement until you have seen the property. If you are signing a tenancy agreement check if you want to live in the property for the time period stated on the agreement, check for early break clauses.

Make sure you have correct contact details for the landlord. If you chose to leave the property early you may lose your deposit. If you are moving in with friends check the tenancy agreement to see if one moves out are the remaining tenants liable for the full rent. This is a common clause.


The Landlord should only retain the deposit or part of it to cover any damage to the property beyond normal wear and tear.

The tenant should take pictures of the property before they move out as evidence of the condition they left the property in.

They should also check the notice period they are required to give the Landlord.  If the matter cannot be resolved then the student may refer the matter as a dispute to the RTB.


There are different rules depending on whether the property is in a Rent Pressure Zone or not. A Rent Pressure Zone (RPZ)  is an area where rents cannot be increased by more than general inflation.

At the beginning of a new tenancy in a Rent Pressure Zone, a landlord is required to provide the tenant, in writing, with the following information:

• The amount of rent that was last set, which is the rent amount the previous tenant was paying in the rental dwelling.

• The date the rent was last set, which is the date that the tenancy commenced or the date the landlord previously set and served the notice of rent review.

• A statement as to how the rent was set in the rental dwelling having regard to the RTB Rent Pressure Zone calculator which reflects the latest HICP.

For a tenancy not located in a Rent Pressure Zones a Landlord may increase the rent in line with market value once every two years.

• For anyone needing information, advice or have an advocacy issue, you can call a member of the local Citizens Information team in Kerry on 0761 07 7860, they will be happy to assist and make an appointment if necessary. 

The offices are staffed from Monday to Friday from 10am to 4pm.  Alternatively you can email on or log on to for further information.

Comments are closed.