PHOTOS: Kerins O’Rahillys Hold On Despite St Brendan’s Comeback

Posted by


Kerins O’Rahilly 3-11

St Brendan’s 1-15

Barry John Keane tries to get his shot in. Photo by Dermot Crean

IT was a strange game in some ways on Saturday night at Austin Stack Park, as Kerins O’Rahillys advanced to the semi-finals of the Garvey’s Supervalu Kerry SFC at the expense of a St Brendan’s side who will rue a slow start.

The Strand Road outfit blitzed the divisional side with three goals in the opening 14 minutes and they never fully recovered despite getting back to within a point of the Blues.

But there is still a lot of work to do if the Tralee side hope to reach the final on October 28, as they let St Brendan’s stage that courageous comeback in the second period.

Continued below…


There was a blow for the underdogs even before a ball was kicked with the news that Jack Barry Kevin Shanahan and Cillian Fitzgerald did not make the starting line-up, but nevertheless they started well with Ivan Parker and Diarmuid O’Connor getting two quick points.

Strand Road were soon ahead though thanks to some great work from Gavin O’Brien. After a run through the middle he saw his shot saved, but David Moran was there to drive it home in the sixth minute from close range.

David Moran scores the first goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

A point from Tommy Walsh was followed immediately by a Tom Hoare goal in the 11th minute and they were already looking comfortable.

Goal No.2 from Tom Hoare.

Jack Savage had free a minute later and then Tommy Walsh slammed home a third to make it 3-2 to 0-2 on 14 minutes and it already looked over.

However, St Brendan’s started to come back and when Niall Sheehy goaled from close range on 23 minutes they found themselves just six points behind.

Continued below…


Niall Sheehy’s goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

Parker, Brendan Poff and David O’Callaghan got more scores for the divisional side, while Savage, David Moran, Barry John Keane were on target for the Blues, so the half-time score was  3-07 to 1-08, a five point gap.

Savage restored the two goal gap after a minute of the second half, but Parker (2) and Sheehy brought the deficit down to three by the 38th minute and we had a real contest.

Savage and O’Donoghue traded scores before Gavin O’Brien punched the ball to the net in the 44th minute only to see it disallowed for a square ball.

Ivan Parker tackled by David Moran.

St Brendan’s continued their fightback and when Parker pointed they found themselves just a point behind with 12 minutes to go at 3-9 to 1-14.

There was some wasteful kicking by O’Rahillys in the last 10 minutes which should have seen them out of sight. Cormac Coffey had a point in injury time only for Diarmuid O’Connor to hit back with a superb score a minute later.

Strand Road secured the win though in the 64th minute when Karl Mullins slotted over a point and they’re into the draw for the semi-finals on a scoreline of 3-11 to 1-15.

This has to be viewed as a very good campaign for St Brendan’s and with some great young talent coming through in the clubs, they’ll be back in the coming years.

Kerins O’Rahillys must learn from this and they will still be a handful for any of the teams left in the competition. Scroll down for photos…

Tommy Walsh gets a shot away.


Barry John drives on.

Con Barrett on the attack.


George Bastible chased by Gavin O’Brien.

The goal that wasn’t…Gavin O’Brien punches the ball to the net but it was disallowed.

Tense moments during the match.

Ivan Parker about to let fly.

Comments are closed.