REPORT: Ballyduff Come Up Short Against Kanturk Munster IHC Semi-Final

Posted by


Mike O’Halloran says Ballyduff gave it their all, but came up short against Kanturk in the Munster Intermediate semi-final on Sunday in Austin Stack Park…

Ballyduff 2-12

Kanturk 1-20

The Ballyduff panel. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

A five point victory for the Cork big guns, but they were put to the pin of their collar by Ballyduff.

Ballyduff will look back on this game as one that got away, perhaps they gave their visitors a little too much respect allowing Kanturk to steal to an eight point lead before Padraig Boyle bagged a goal on 14 minutes.

Prior to that Lorcan McLoughlin, Alan O’Keefe and Liam O’Keefe had added two points each with Ian Walsh and Aiden Walsh adding one point each.

Ballyduff were to stem the Kanturk tide to a certain extent from there to half time. Padraig Boyle and his brother Michael had a point each with Anthony O’Carroll also tapping over.

Continued below…


Liam O’Keefe, Ian Walsh and Aiden Walsh kept the Kanturk scoreboard ticking over, the halftime score Ballyduff 1-3 Kanturk 0-12.

The Kanturk panel. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

Michael Boyle reduced the margin by a point at the start of the second half, Liam O’Keefe had two points and in-between those points, the Goulding brothers had a point each for Ballyduff, the score board read Ballyduff 1-6 Kanturk 0-13 with 38 minutes gone.

Ten minutes later the score was 1-9 to 0-16. Two points from Padraig and one from Aiden Boyle, Lorcan O’Neill and Ian Walsh had the Kanturk points.

Another ten minutes passed before Paul O’Carroll drew the sides level with a goal. Prior to the goal Padraig Boyle had two points on the board, David Goulding had his second point, Alan O’Keefe and James Fitzpatrick raised a white flag each.

Padraigh Boyle had an effort from distance to put Ballyduff ahead.┬áIn order to chase the game, Ballyduff had pushed up on Kanturk leaving gaps at the back and that gap was exploited when Ian Walsh latched on to the ball that PJ O’Gorman had parried and forced it to the net.

Lorcan O’Neill and Ian Walsh added two further points and much to relief of the Kanturk faithful the ref blew the long whistle.

Ballyduff must surely rue their slow start because when they took the game to Kanturk they were more than a match for them.

Basic errors cost them at least four points, poor shot selection cost them one or two more and a couple of over ambitious cross-field passes added at least three points to the Kanturk tally.

But with all that said this was an excellent display from Ballyduff, with a man of the match display from Michael Boyle.

Comments are closed.