Sport: Celtic Deny Mitchels Title With Late Late Leveller

Posted by


Blasket ad 4

Tralee CelticMitchels AvenueDenny Division 2B League Final

Mitchels Avenue 2
Tralee Celtic 2

(Pictures and Report by Tommy Naughton)

THE Tralee derby league final between Mitchels Avenue and Tralee Celtic ended all level in Mounthawk Park on Sunday after a last gasp equalizer by Tralee Celtic.

The first half saw both sides trying their hardest to get control of the game but with a huge amount of pressure being forced on the player in possession any clear chances were very hard to come by. Mitchels Avenue best chance of the opening half saw David Hennessey break out of defence where he beat three opponents on his way before playing the ball wide to Chris O’Sullivan.

O Sullivan’s cross wasn’t cleared correctly and the ball dropped to Sean O’Reilly on the edge of the box whose control was excellent but his shot was off target and didn’t trouble the keeper.

Daire Dunne went closest for Tralee Celtic following a long goal kick by Eoghan O’Leary and a flick on by Fergal Moynihan but his attempted chip was gathered by Chris Hegarty who had just strayed of his line.

Action from the Division 2B Final between Mitchels Ave and Tralee Celtic

Action from the Division 2B Final between Mitchels Avenue and Tralee Celtic

The second half was much more lively with more goalmouth action. It was only eight minutes old when the Avenue took the lead thanks to Robert O’Sullivan, who was in the right spot to force the ball home from a Lorcan Seymour Corner.

With just over 20 minutes remaining the game was all level after a thunderous volley by Jamie Blake found the back of the net from a Fergal Moynihan cross – a goal worthy of any cup final in the world.

Action from the Division 2B Final between Mitchels Ave and Tralee Celtic

Action from the Division 2B Final between Mitchels Avenue and Tralee Celtic

It looked like the game would fade away with both sides not wanting to concede in the remaining of the game and be happy with a replay. However with ten minutes remaining Eoghan O’Leary took down Jake Moran for a penalty to Mitchels Avenue.

Sean O’Reilly made no mistake to send their fans wild as it looked like this goal would secure the league title. Tralee Celtic threw everything forward in the remaining minutes in search of the equaliser as time began to run out.

Four minutes of injury time were to be added and in the 93rd minute, Tralee Celtic were rewarded for their perseverance. Daire Dunne’s corner was flicked towards goal by Jordan Murphy and Steven O’Mahony rose highest to head the ball over the line.

Seconds later the final whistle and in truth a draw was probably the fair result and both sides can look forward to another big day out in two weeks time.

Mitchels Avenue: Chris Hegarty, Liam O Sullivan, David Hennessey, Aaron o Connor, Peter Murphy, Chris o Sullivan, Jeffery Roche, Robert o Sullivan, Darren Breen, Lorcan Seymour, Sean o Reilly. Subs; Jared o Sullivan for Jeffery Roche, Jake Moran for Liam o Sullivan.

Tralee Celtic: Eoghan O’Leary, Barry Leahy, Derek O’Connor, James O’Mahoney, Greg Powell, Daire Dunne, Stephen O’Sullivan, Aidan Sullivan, Billy Stack, Jamie Blake, Fergal Moynihan. Subs; Steven O’Mahoney for Stephen O’Sullivan, Jordan Murphy for Billy Stack , Michael Prendiville for Jamie Blake .

Referee: Eddie O’Mahoney
Assistant: Anthony Morrison
Assistant: Willie Gorman

Comments are closed.