Tralee Parnells GAA Club News

Posted by


Parnells Summer Camp

There are still places available on our four day summer camp from Monday the 19th to Thursday the 22nd of July, 10 to 1pm. The camp is open to boys and girls age 6 to 14.  We are including a Parnells training top for all camp participants.  Bookings can be made through Clubforce.  Contact David on 085 1355566 for further details.

U7 Boys and Girls
Another mighty training session by our under 7 players last Friday evening, great to see such commitment at this level. A round of applause for all the parents who briefly joined training and picked up a few new skills to show the young players at home.  Congratulations to this week’s Players of the week: Tadhg McElligott and Rian O’Shea.

Tralee Parnells blue camogie team who played Killarney.

U12 Girls
U12 Camogie Blue team got their season off to a tremendous start in sun drenched Spa Killarney on Wednesday 23rd. All our forwards found the net, while our backs worked tirelessly to protect our goal. Great workrate shown by everyone all over the field.  Hard luck to a gallant Killarney team who were short a few regulars.

On the same evening the Amber team played a home challenge match against Abbeykillix.  It was a well contested match allowing all players to gain valuable match experience.

U13 Boys
The U13 boys played round three of the North Kerry Under 13 Championship on Tuesday evening of last week away to St Brendans in Ardfert. In wet and greasy conditions both teams served up an entertaining game of hurling.

Despite Parnells dominating first half possession and territory, the home team were more efficient up front and led by one point at half time on a score of 3-3 to 3-2.  After the break Parnells had the better of early exchanges and launched numerous attacks but without reward. Midway through the half Parnells converted a flowing move that began at their own fullback line with a well taken goal.

A point from play and another from a free had Parnells a goal up with 5 minutes to play. The remaining minutes saw the hosts lay siege on the Parnells goal in search of an equalizer. The Parnells defense held firm to secure a very hard fought victory. The Final score was St Brendans 3-4 Tralee Parnells 4-4

U14 Girls
Our U14’s Camogie team were away to Killarney on Friday evening for their first league fixture back in Div 1. It was a fantastic game of Camogie that kept us on the edge until the final whistle. Our players showed tremendous skill and determination throughout the game but unfortunately Killarney came out on top. Maeve Trant, Rachel Sargent and Anna Chute scored for Parnells. A fantastic team performance, well done to all!

U15 Boys
Our U15s had a tough day at the office in Ballyduff on Friday evening in the first round of Feile Kerry. Missing a number of regulars and facing a stiff breeze, Ballyduff quickly got into their stride. They used the wind to their advantage, putting over frees from long distance, punishing Parnells indiscipline. They were quicker to the breaking ball and though the Parnells defence fought valiantly, Ballyduff managed to break through a number of times to raise a green flag. Parnells upped their game in the second half and goals from Tomas O’Connell and Fionan Ryan gave the team a lift.

An injury to our goalie Cian Harris didn’t help matters and Ballyduff managed to find the net a few more times. Parnells fought to the end and there were great performances all round particularly in defence by Cian Hennessy and in attack by Eoin Moriarty in his first season playing hurling. Next up we are away to Crotta next Friday and expect that to be a more evenly matched encounter.  Final score: Parnells 2-8 Ballyduff 6-18.

Under 16 B County Camogie Final

Huge credit to all those who played in the 2020 Under 16 B rescheduled County Final at Spa GAA Killarney.  Against a well drilled Killarney team every ball was fought for right down to the final whistle.  We did not get that rub of the green that could have given us the point to draw or goal to win it in the closing stages, when there was just a point in it and we had the Killarney defense under siege. But if fairness to every Tralee player they showed a never say die attitude all the way through.

Outstanding performances from several players, from Saorlaith and Jessica who had their turns between the posts, Aoife and Grace who thwarted innumerable Killarney attacks on our last line of defense, Grainne and Anna who were strong and tireless on the half back line, Síle who dominated all around her in central defense and midfield, Ella and Alice who came out with ball after ball in midfield, our forwards who mounted attack after attack.  Against the run of play Killarney burst down the far wing in the dying moments to finally lift the Parnells blockade and deny us one last scoring attempt, clearing the ball in to the Killarney forwards who got through on goal.  In a heroic effort that epitomized the spirit of the team all match, Jessica put her body on the line and did everything in her power to repel the attack, injuring herself in the process and leading to the the stoppage for first aid that ended in the final whistle being blown.

It was heart stopping fare from whistle to whistle, an enthralling encounter by two well matched sides who always seem to raise their game for these encounters.
Special mention for Tralee Parnells Player of the Match has to go to Róise, who spent long periods bolstering the defense from deep midfield, and yet found the energy to surge forward repeatedly, both to take our first point in the early stages and also to contribute to multiple attacks. One of these led to a tantalizing shot when the game was in the melting pot following the Tralee comeback in the second half, with a point dropped in from an outside position by Ella which bounced off the crossbar for a point, but could just was easily have deflected downwards for the green flag, that at that point seemed destined to be the winner.

In the end it was not to be on this occasion for the traveling team.   But while we can reflect on the small margins that decide such a close encounter, we also look forward to this spirited panel driving on in our Senior Schools league and the County and Munster fixtures this summer, to bring themselves to the next level and come into the 2022 under 18 County League as an improving squad that seem sure to have many more memorable tussles with this Killarney side.

Tralee panel on the day:-
Ella Breen,
Caoimhe Donnelly,
Anna Kerdzaia,
Síle Lynch,
Saorlaith Moore,
Clodagh O Sullivan,
Grace O’Brien,
Róise O’Donnell,
Shona O’Connor,
Aoife O’Sullivan ,
Nóra Cadogan,
Ailisha Daughton,
Caoilinn Hickey,
Gráinne Leahy,
Alice O’Connell
Caoilinn O’Brien,
Sadhbh Cadogan,
Grainne Diggin,
Shauna Harris,
Jessica McGibney,
Lana O’Connell,
Jessica O’Loughlin.

Tralee Parnells under-17s had their third, and most historic outing of the county league this Sunday, against a challenging Rathmore side, in the grounds of Keel GAA Club, an arena formerly unaccustomed to hurling. The locals confirmed that this would be the debut game of hurling in the grounds, an event that excited the parishes residents. Tralee Parnells were technically the hosts of the match, but had chosen to play the game in Keel in recognition of the Benson family; Keel natives who are also very dedicated to hurling and make the laborious journey into Tralee multiple times every week.

The game began with a flourish of Parnells scores who took an early lead of three points to nothing. Rathmore, however, were not easily silenced and fought back hard to win 3 frees, converting all, to bring the game to even scores. Points were traded throughout the remainder of the first quarter with the two sides drawing four points to four at the first water break.

The game resumed, and fierce contests for possession and scrappy play, caused by testing defenders by both teams dominated the second quarter. Parnells launched a deluge upon the Rathmore defence, in desperate pursuit of a goal to ease their nerves before the second half, but the stoic defenders in the red and white of An Ráth Mhór stood strong and repelled the continuous attacks. In a low scoring second quarter, points from Garry Lynch and team Captain Cathal Concagh kept the scoreboard ticking for the hosts, while Rathmore converted well won frees. The sides jogged in at half time with Parnells leading seven points to five.

The whistle was blown and the sides lined out for what was to be a decisive half. The referee John Ross threw the ball in, which was contested for by midfielders Cathal Concagh and Cillian Litchfield, but the Rathmore midfielders emerged with it. It was now Parnells time to defend, and they did so with courage and skill, winning ball and distributing it up to the forwards, who were facing problems to convert scores due to a solid Rathmore defence and unfortunate wides and break ups in play. A goal for the hosts was sought after again, and after close chances with the sliotar hitting posts and side nettings, the elusive three-point score was finally found with Cillian Litchfield rattling the back net. Parnells remained in the lead having denied their opponents a single score in the third quarter making the score 1-9 to 0-7 at the water break.

Things finally went Parnells way in the final quarter with their forwards raising the play a level and making an impact with what was a very stubborn ball for earlier parts of the game. Many substitutions were made, as Parnells had an excess of players on the bench, due to the visitors from east Kerry only being able to field thirteen on the day, as their panel had been reduced due to players having to prioritise Kerry Minor Football. Two more goals were converted by Parnells, and balls were pucked over the black spot to let the home team dominate the rest of the game. A steadfast defence led by Edward Sheehy and Rory Reen, with Conor Kirby, David Chute, John Joe Hanafin, Dylan Cunningham, Oisin O Sullivan and Andrew Kerins contributing to make a well manned defence which kept the Rathmore forwards scoreless in the second half. Colm Browne and Darragh Maloney shone in the forwards, and the team finished with a satisfactory performance, leaving the final score 3-12 to 0-7.

The win made Parnells top of the table, with three wins from three. The team will now most likely have their eyes on the title, looking forward to battles to come. It was a fantastic day for hurling, with the sun shining and an advantageous breeze present. Tralee Parnells would like to thank Keel GAA Club for their hospitality, and commend Rathmore GAA Club on a great performance. The club hopes that they have put on a good performance for the Keel locals, who up until now have been enthralled with football, but may become missionaries of the small ball yet.

Senior Hurlers
Tralee Parnells welcomed County Champions Kilmoyley to Caherslee on Sunday for round 2 of Div 1 of the Co. Senior Hurling League. On a beautiful afternoon for hurling and the pitch in great condition, both sides served up a very entertaining game of hurling. Parnells, with the aid of the breeze, were first to score with a free by corner forward, Darragh Reen, but Kilmoyley hit back almost immediately. A short free wasn’t dealt with by the Parnells defence and full-forward David McCarthy found the Parnells net. Parnells responded quickly with 2 more points from Reen, one from play after 10 minutes and another free.

Kilmoyley wing forward Robert Collins added a point from play after 14 minutes before Reen added 2 more points for Parnells, who at this stage were having the better of exchanges. Ronan Walsh scored from play to level matters again before Tadhg Reen got on the scoresheet with a great point after 22 minutes. Walsh replied for Kilmoyley before Darragh Reen added a free for Parnells. Kilmoyley had a free before half time to leave the teams level at the short whistle with Parnells still very much in the game.

HT Tralee Parnells 0-7 Kilmoyley 1-4
Parnells started the second half well and were fighting for every ball. Unfortunately for Parnells, their chief scorer, Darragh Reen had to be replaced within the first few minutes of the second half, due to a nasty head injury sustained in executing a superb block. With Reen withdrawn, Parnells attacking threat was diminished and matters only worsened when the referee awarded what seemed like a soft penalty to Kilmoyley after 5 minutes which Walsh duly converted. Kilmoyley were guilty of some wasteful shooting and after 10 minutes, Tadhg Reen doubled his own personal tally with a point from play. However, Collins for Kilmoyley added on 2 more points before the final water break. Matters didn’t improve for Parnells and 3 more points followed for Kilmoyley.

Luke Barrett responded with a free from distance for Parnells, but at this stage goals were required and the Parnells attack were unable to penetrate the Kilmoyley defence, despite the best efforts of Stephen Morrissey and Niall Cassidy. Barrett, who was deployed in a much more advanced role in the second half, did manage to break through the defence near the end but his rasping shot went across the goal and wide. Kilmoyley had the final say with a point from corner forward Walsh. In truth, this was a much improved performance from Parnells, who were missing a number of regulars due to injury. Bearing in mind the opposition, there were definitely positives to take from the game, though no doubt the management team will have lots to work on with the lads before their next outing away to St Brendans. We wish Darragh Reen a speedy recovery from his head injury.

]Final score: Tralee Parnells 0-9 Kilmoyley 2-10
1. Mark Ryall 2. Tim Kelliher 3. Tadhg Brick 4. Eanna O’Connor 5. Ruairi O’Sullivan 6. Brian Lonergan 7. Luke Barrett (0-1 free) 8. Ciaran Breen 9. Cathal Dunne 10. Cillian O’Riordain 11. Tadhg Reen (0-2) 12. Stephen Morrissey 13. Andrew Morrissey 14. Tommy O’Connor 15. Darragh Reen (0-6, 0-4 frees)
Subs used: 17 Jonathan Lowe (for Cillian O’Riordain); 18. Niall Cassidy (for Darragh Reen (inj.)

Comments are closed.