REPORT/PHOTOS: Lixnaw Looking Very Good As They Make Semi-Finals

Posted by


Lixnaw are in the semi-finals after convincingly beating Ballyduff yesterday in the Garveys Supervalu Kerry SHC Round 2B clash at Austin Stack Park yesterday…

Lixnaw 3-19

Ballyduff 1-16

Jeremy McKenna in possession tracked by Anthony O’Carroll. Photo by Dermot Crean

I had suggested in my preview of this game that Lixnaw would come out the right side of this game and so they did.

I also suggested in reporting on their performance in the opening round that they were potential winners of this competition.

Their performance yesterday has reinforced my view. Their total dominance of Ballyduff in the final 20 minutes of the game was, well, total.

The first half was close enough with Lixnaw going in at halftime two points ahead 2-8 to 1-9.

Continued below…


Ballyduff had the better of the early exchanges going three points ahead from the sticks of John Hussey with one and Padraig Boyle with two.

Ballyduff were defending like men possessed against the mobile and extremely skilful forwards of Lixnaw. It was six minutes before Shane Conway pointed for Lixnaw, four minutes later James Flaherty blasted to the net.

Liam Boyle catches a puck out. Photo by Dermot Crean

Twenty minutes in, Shane Conway capitalised on poor defending to bag another goal for Lixnaw, Padraigh Boyle goaled for Ballyduff three minutes later to leave the score Balyduff 1-7 Lixnaw 2-6.

Padraig had two more points, only for Mike and Shane Conway to tap over a point each.

Ballyduff played with the wind in the second half, but the wind did nothing to improve their effort against a pretty solid Lixnaw defence and silky smooth forwards.

Padraig Boyle had all Ballyduff’’s scores bar one — the other coming from David Goulding. The Conways showed all their class Jason Wallace added a point and James Flaherty had two to add to the Conway’s nine to leave the fulltime score Ballyduff 1-16 Lixnaw 3-19.

Lixnaw replied to all the questions posed by Ballyduff in spades up front and at the back.

They matched the physicality of Ballyduff, negated Michael and Padraig Boyle by double tagging them while they maintained their composure and delivering quality possession to their glorious forwards.

Ballyduff are still in there with a shout in round three and will be hoping that the return of the yanks will bolster their challenge.

In order for that challenge to improve, they will have to support Padraig Boyle up front and come up with a plan to release Michael from the shackles of the double marker as well as improving their fitness. SCROLL DOWN FOR PHOTOS…

The Lixnaw panel before the game. Photo by Dermot Crean


Ballyduff face the flag for the national anthem. Photo by Dermot Crean

Contesting a puck out. Photo by Dermot Crean


Liam Boyle lets fly. Photo by Dermot Crean

Liam Boyle catches a puck out. Photo by Dermot Crean


Gary O’Brien in possession. Photo by Dermot Crean

John Hussey gets his shot away. Photo by Dermot Crean


High flying action. Photo by Dermot Crean

Colin Sheehy gets a shot away while Gary O’Brien tries a block. Photo by Dermot Crean

Liam Mullins about to let fly. Photo by Dermot Crean

Liam Boyle has a shot on goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

David Egan in possession. Photo by Dermot Crean

Action during the game. Photo by Dermot Crean

Action from the game. Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.