Know Your Rights: Jobseeker’s Benefit And Subsidiary Employment 

Posted by



Know Your Rights has been compiled by Kerry Citizens Information Service which provides a free and confidential service to the public…

Question: I was working full-time and was also doing a few hours with another company in the evenings. I recently lost my full-time job. Can I claim Jobseeker’s Benefit and continue working a couple of hours each evening?

Answer: Jobseeker’s Benefit is a weekly payment from the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection (DEASP) to people who are out of work and are covered by social insurance (PRSI).

As a general rule, you cannot get Jobseeker’s Benefit for any day you are employed or self-employed. However, it is possible to do some subsidiary work and still get Jobseeker’s Benefit for the day in question.

Continued below…


Subsidiary employment is work that could have been done while you were in full-time employment and outside your normal working hours. For example, you may work a full-time job during the day and have a part-time job in the evening. The part-time job is known as subsidiary or secondary employment if you were able to do the part-time work without it affecting your full-time job for a period of at least 6 months.

If you have subsidiary employment, you should always check with the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection to see whether or not your Jobseeker’s Benefit will be affected.

If you have less than 117 paid PRSI contributions in the 3 years before becoming unemployed there is a limit on the amount you can earn from subsidiary employment while getting Jobseeker’s Benefit.

From 1 January 2019, the amount you can earn has increased to €144 per week (or €7,500 over 12 months). There is no earnings limit if you have more than 117 paid PRSI contributions.

If you are a farmer with other full-time employment, your farming will be your subsidiary employment.

• Contact us in Tralee on Tel: 0761 07 7860 Killarney 0761 07 7820, Listowel 0761 07 7840 Kenmare 0761 07 7810, & Caherciveen 0761 07 7780. Outreach Services; Killorglin weekly, Dingle monthly, please call Tralee for more information.

Information is also available online at and from the Citizens Information Phone Service, 0761 07 4000

Comments are closed.