Sport: Late Miss Sinks John Mitchels In Ardfert

Posted by

Suits_select_ad 2

Click on above ad for more


Sean Moloney in action for John Mitchels in their Intermediate Championship game against Ardfert on Saturday. Photo by Gavin O’Connor

Ardfert 1-9

John Mitchels 1-8

THERE was heartbreak for John Mitchels as this Intermediate County Championship Quarter Final went right to the final kick of the game at Ardfert on Saturday night.

But midfielder Brian Costello missed a twenty yard free which would have levelled things up for his side and brought it to extra time.

There was almost perfect conditions in Ardfert with only an occasional  stiff breeze which favoured Ardfert in the first half affecting things.

Ardfert dominated the early exchanges aided by the breeze and superiority in midfield where they were onto everything. Cian Hussey and David Griffin scored points for them in this period.

Eight minutes in, Mitchels hit back with a goal, Jake Moran coolly slamming the ball home to the left corner of the net from 10 yards giving the keeper no chance.

Ardfert replied back with a point from David Griffin to leave the sides level after 10 minutes 0-3 to 1-0. Ardfert would go ahead from a a David Griffin free, but the excellent Alan O’Donoghue responded for Mitchels to level it up.

Ardfert added two more points from David Griffin and Shane Griffin to put them two ahead, but their dominance was beginning to wane in midfield. Mitchels were led by terrific counter attacks from wing back Sean Moloney who was a thorn in the Ardfert’s side all day.

Mitchels pulled it back level with points from Robert O’Sullivan and a free from Brian Costello. And it was the Boherbee side who would go in ahead at the break from a wonderful jinking score from Alan O’Donoghue. It was 0-6 to 1-4 at half time.

There was less scores in the second half which was marked by a number of incidents – five men picked up yellow cards, one for Mitchels and four for Ardfert as the North Kerry side sought to put the brakes on Mitchels flying wing back Sean Moloney in particular.

A pointed free from Damian Wallace put Ardfert ahead, but they were pegged back from the boot of O’Donoghue who was set up by Moloney again.

Twelve minutes in to the half Ardfert got a penalty which was planted to the net by Damian Wallace to put his side two ahead.

With the next attack O’Donoghue responded with the point of the game. The corner forward waltzed around two or three backs and put it over the bar. They couldn’t lay a hand on him.

Shane Griffin put Ardfert two ahead with a point from play which was responded to by a free from Brian Costello. It was Costello who struck again with a free two minutes later. A fantastic effort just outside the 45 yard line to bring Mitchels level with 13 minutes left on the clock.

With 11 minutes to go, Damian Wallace put Ardfert ahead. The closing ten minutes plus added time was a dogged affair where Mitchels did everything they could to get that equaliser and Ardfert did everything they could to prevent it.

With the last kick of the game Mitchels were afforded that golden opportunity when they won a free thirty yards out. The free was even moved in 10 yards closer for dissent.

Brian Costello who had a fine game in midfield and was one of Mitchels leaders, missed the kick and they went crashing out.

On the balance of play, Mitchels deserved a draw, but sport can be so cruel.

Ardfert: Nicky Sullivan, Daniel Collins, Rory Horgan, Finan Horgan, Stephen Lean, Eamonn Corridon, Damien Dineen, John Dowling, David Griffin (0-3), John Egan, Eoin McCarthy, Damian Wallace (1-0,0-3f), Shane Griffin (0-1), Martin Ferris, Cian Hussey (0-2)

Subs: Kevin Shanahan (Martin Ferris)

John Mitchels: Dermot Raggat, Cian Sheridan, Brendan O’Mahony, Aidan Fitzgerald, Sean Moloney, Oliver Coffey, Frank O’Donnell, Brian Costello (0-3f), Jake Moran (1-0), Stevie O’Mahony, Akeem Molloy, Dan Currans, Alan O’Donoghue (0-4), John Higgins, Robert O’Sullivan (0-1).

Subs: Alan Leahy, (Robert O’Sullivan).





Comments are closed.