PHOTO GALLERY: Kerins O’Rahillys And Austin Stacks In Epic Relegation Play-Off

Posted by


Tommy Walsh and Cormac Coffey share the sense of relief at the final whistle. Photo by Dermot Crean

Kerins O’Rahillys 2-16

Austin Stacks 0-18

THE match may have been delayed by 10 minutes due to crowd congestion, but the County League Division 1 relegation playoff battle between Austin Stacks and Kerins O’Rahillys was well worth the wait for spectators on Sunday.

It was the Blues who prevailed after an epic battle in difficult conditions at Austin Stack Park and they retain their Division 1 status while the Rockies head down to Division 2.

Kerins O’Rahillys led by 0-06 to 0-05 at the break but it wasn’t until the last 10 minutes of the 60 that the game truly came to life.

Continued below…


Stacks had raced into a four point lead with eight minutes to go, but a Diarmuid O’Sullivan goal and a David Moran point in the space of two minutes had the teams level at 1-8 to 0-11.

Michael O’Donnell on the attack. Photo by Dermot Crean

A Michael O’Donnell point for Stacks was cancelled out by a Cormac Coffey reply on 27 minutes but  injury time saw a flurry of points.

Stacks went ahead through another O’Donnell point only for Cormac Coffey and Ross O’Callaghan to put the Blues ahead again and surely the day was theirs. However, a late 45 from Sean Quilter brought the game to extra-time with the score at 1-11 to 0-14.

Cormac Coffey on the ball. Photo by Dermot Crean

The sides traded scores in the first couple of minutes before David Mannix put the Rockies a point ahead. A key moment came in the fourth minute when Cormac Coffey scored a stunning goal to send Kerins O’Rahillys two clear.

They would never relinquish that lead and extended it a few minutes later with a point from Shane McElligott. Stacks narrowed the gap with a Paul O’Sullivan point but they had Niall Fitzmaurice receive a black card meaning they would play with 14 for the final 10 minutes.

Luke Casey fends off Conor Hayes. Photo by Dermot Crean

The inspirational Kieran Donaghy was introduced for the final 10 minutes but a point from David Moran put Kerins O’Rahillys three ahead with nine minutes to go.

Continued below…


With a minute left, Conor Hayes put the Blues four ahead and while Seán Quilter cut the lead to three with a free, a late, late attack saw Shane McElligott punch over the bar to seal the win on a scoreline of 2-16 to 0-18.

Gearóid Savage and Shane McElligott celebrate the final point while Cillian Litchfield lies in despair. Photo by Dermot Crean

Relief more than joy for Kerins O’Rahillys, while the defeat to their great rivals will hurt for the Rockies who no doubt will be back sooner rather than later. Scroll down for photos…

Shane McElligott on the attack. Photo by Dermot Crean


Jordan Kissane sees red late on. Photo by Dermot Crean

Spectators watch on. Photo by Dermot Crean

A battle for possession. Photo by Dermot Crean


Wayne Guthrie plots an attack. Photo by Dermot Crean

Stacks regroup at half-time in extra-time. Photo by Dermot Crean

Darragh O’Connor in action. Photo by Dermot Crean

Shane Brosnan fends off the attention of Gearóid Fitzgerald. Photo by Dermot Crean

Paul O’Sullivan slots over a point in extra-time. Photo by Dermot Crean

High fielding action.,Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.