Kerry Receives €405,000 To Improve Housing Stock For Older People And Those With Disabilities

Posted by


KERRY is to receive state funding of €405,286 to improve housing stock for older people and people with a disability.

It’s part of an €18 million nationwide package announced by Government today to improve housing conditions.

Deputy Government Chief Whip, Brendan Griffin TD welcomed the news and said; “This funding is designed to improve housing conditions for those who need it most and will help people to live independently in their own homes for longer.”

Continued below…


The Disabled Persons Grant Scheme and the Improvement Works in Lieu of Local Authority Housing Scheme are administered directly by Kerry County Council.

Exchequer funding meets 90% of the cost of the works in each property, with the local authority providing the remaining 10%. In total €450,317 is granted under the two schemes for the area covered by Kerry County Council.

The DPG Scheme provides funding for extensions and adaptations to existing social housing stock for older people and people with a disability. For example,the funding can be used for items such as grab rails, disabled access ramps, wet rooms, setting up a bedroom downstairs etc. The scheme also provides extensions in cases of overcrowding in a home.

In addition, funding is provided under the Improvement Works in Lieu of social housing scheme (IWILs).

This allows local authorities to improve or extend privately owned accommodation, where the applicant has been approved for social housing.

It allows those who are otherwise eligible for social housing to remain in private housing and for enhancements to that housing.

Comments are closed.