PHOTO GALLERY: Austin Stacks And Kerins O’Rahillys Bow Out Of Club Championship

Posted by


Rory Molloy attempt to break the challenge of his opponent. Photo by Dermot Crean

THERE was disappointment for both Tralee clubs in the opening round of the Castleisland Mart senior club championship yesterday.

Kerins O’Rahillys went down at home to Kenmare by the minimum, 1-13 to 1-14, while over in Lewis Road, Killarney, the defending champions Austin Stacks were beaten by rivals Dr Crokes.

In what was Stacks lowest score in senior football since 1990, they only managed 0-4 to Dr Crokes 0-10 in what was a good day for the backs.

Continued below…


Colm Cooper about to let fly. Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin

The home side were 0-5 to 0-0 up by the 14th minute by which time Pa McCarthy got a point for the Tralee men.

The Rockies got two more before the break, to leave the scores 0-7 to 0-3. On the resumption, Dr Crokes scored just three more points in the game to the Rock’s one – a Mikey Collins free in injury time – on a day where defences were giving little away.

It was a livelier affair in Strand Road where Kerins O’Rahillys entertained Kenmare.

The visitors started well with two points in as many minutes before Rory Molloy and Jack Savage regained parity on five minutes.

Kenmare kicked on with full forward Paul O’Connor in flying form racing into a 0-8 to 0-4 lead with seven minutes to go to the break.

Continued below…


Barry John Keane launches a ball towards the square. Photo by Dermot Crean

Gavin O’Brien and Barry John Keane kept the Blues in touch with a score each to leave Kenmare 0-8 to 0-6 up half-time.

When the southerners went four up in the first few minutes of the second period, it spurred Kerins O’Rahillys into action.

Barry John Keane first had a point and then a goal from a penalty, after Tommy Walsh was fouled.

Further points from Jack Savage and Barry John Keane saw them two ahead with 15 minutes to go, 1-9 to 0-10.

Kenmare though showed resilience, scoring a brace to level the match and then came an incident which would result in a lengthy delay to proceedings.

Kerins O’Rahillys goalkeeper, Gary Kissane, received a knock in a clash with a Kenmare player and had to leave the pitch, being replaced by Shane Foley.

Jack Savage is bundled to the ground earning a free. Photo by Dermot Crean

Almost immediately, Kenmare launched a high ball towards the goal and it was fisted in for a goal in the 48th minute to leave the scores 1-9 to 1-12. Soon after, it was clear that Gary Kissane would need further medical attention and an ambulance was called, resulting in the game being stopped for over 20 minutes.

Continued below…


When the match resumed, Kerins O’Rahillys came back with a free from Jack Savage, but Kenmare scored the next two points to put them four up with six minutes to go.

Savage and Barry John Keane (2) cut the lead to the bare minimum, but it was too late for the Blues. They now await the draw for the relegation playoff next week where they could end up facing rivals Austin Stacks.

Dingle drew with Legion on Sunday, while Rathmore face Kilcummin in the last remaining tie to be played on Wednesday night.

The draw for the relegation playoff pairings is scheduled to be made tonight. Scroll down for photos from the Stacks and O’Rahillys games (Austin Stacks v Dr Crokes photos courtesy of Adrienne McLoughlin)…

Con Barrett makes a run. Photo by Dermot Crean


High flying action. Photo by Dermot Crean

Kenmare players celebrate at the final whistle. Photo by Dermot Crean


Midfield action. Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin.

Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin

Ronan Shanahan in action. Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin

Shane O’Callaghan on the ball. Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin

Greg Horan and Shane O’Callaghan tries to get the ball. Photo by Adrienne McLoughlin



Comments are closed.