REPORT/PHOTOS: Blues Bow Out As South Kerry Advance To Final

Posted by


Kerins O’Rahillys 1-8

South Kerry 0-12

South Kerry players embrace while, behind them, Kerins O’Rahillys players lament a chance lost. Photo by Dermot Crean

THE Eirsport executive who suggested the channel cover this Garvey’s Supervalu Kerry SFC semi-final must have been sweating after the first 15 minutes of the game, such was the poor fare on offer from both teams.

Kerins O’Rahillys and South Kerry are both better than what they served up for most of the game at Fitzgerald Stadium in Killarney,  but it was the divisional side who commanded the last 20 minutes and in the end deserved their place in the final.

Continued below…


They can thank Bryan Sheehan for this after he turned in a man of the match display and will be pivotal to their challenge against Dr Crokes in two weeks.

Kerins O’Rahillys had a chance to snatch a draw in injury-time, but Barry John Keane’s long range free drifted wide and South Kerry held on to win.

Brendan O’Sullivan and Tommy Walsh contest a throw ball. Photo by Dermot Crean

The start of the game was full of mistakes and turnovers as both sides struggled to find their rhythm.

It took seven minutes for Bryan Sheehan to open the scoring, but in the tenth minute the Tralee side were awarded a penalty and Jack Savage placed it perfectly into the corner.

Jack Savage places his penalty into the corner. Photo by Dermot Crean

That goal served them well for the rest of the half and in a low scoring period they scored just three points from John Ferguson, Barry John Keane and Tommy Walsh.

In the meantime, South Kerry were making headway and Bryan Sheehan scored two points from play on a day when his placed-ball kicking prowess deserted him.

Ronan Hussey and Matthew O’Sullivan also got scores to ensure the minimum between the teams at the break, 1-3 to 0-5. The Strand Road side were dealt a blow just before the short whistle when John Ferguson went off injured.

Within three minutes of the restart, Kerins O’Rahillys were three points ahead thanks to a Jack Savage free and Tommy Begley from play.

Graham O’Sullivan gives chase to Gavin O’Brien. Photo by Dermot Crean

The sides exchanged scores and then South Kerry began to control the midfield and Kerins O’Rahillys found it difficult to distribute any ball to the forwards. Tommy Walsh also limped off injured on 46 minutes which was another setback for the Blues.

A Daniel Daly point on 19 minutes levelled the match and when Ian Galvin pointed a free from a tight angle on 25 minutes, they had the momentum.

However, Jack Savage showed great leadership a minute later when he scored a fine point from around 35 yards out to level the tie again.

Continued below…


But South Kerry’s superiority in the middle third paid off and Daniel Daly put them ahead again. When Mark Griffin made a great run on the right hand side to punch over a score with a minute to go, the game was up.

Barry John Keane pointed a free to bring it back to the minimum in injury time, but South Kerry weren’t to be denied.

Another disappointing day for Kerins O’Rahillys, but they still have time on their side with this group of players to make a challenge for the Bishop Moynihan Cup in the coming years. South Kerry have some improving to do for the final.




South Kerry: Bryan Sheehan 0-3, Daniel Daly 0-3 (1f), Mark Griffin 0-1, Paul O’Donoghue 0-1 ’45′, Ronan Hussey 0-1f, Matthew O’Sullivan 0-1, Niall O’Shea 0-1, Ian Galvin 0-1f.

Kerins O’Rahilly’s: Jack Savage 1-2 (1-0, pen, 0-1f), Barry John Keane 0-3 (2f), Tommy Begley 0-1, Tommy Walsh 0-1, John Ferguson 0-1

David Moran rises highest. Photo by Dermot Crean

Barry John Keane is surrounded. Photo by Dermot Crean

Cormac Coffey is watched by Robert Wharton. Photo by Dermot Crean

Daniel Daly about to lay off a ball with Danny O’Sullivan watching. Photo by Dermot Crean

Mark Griffin tears away from Jack Savage. Photo by Dermot Crean

A tense moment near the end.

Barry John Keane scores a second half point. Photo by Dermot Crean

Jack Savage surveys his options. Photo by Dermot Crean

Cathal Sheehy and Ken Savage ponder the Blues chances at half-time…

…as do Sean Kissane and Chairman of Kerins O’Rahillys Haulie Kerins…

Whereas Joe Griffin, Mike Griffin and Tom Begley preferred the comfort of the stand. Photos by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.