REPORT/PHOTOS: Exciting Finish As St Brendan’s Beat Causeway

Posted by


Mike O’Halloran watched St Brendan’s beat Causeway in the Garvey’s Supervalu Kerry Senior Hurling Championship Round 1 replay at Austin Stack Park last night…

St Brendan’s 1-13

Causeway 2-7

Tim Hannafin celebrates his late goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

They say goals win matches, but that didn’t prove to be the case for Causeway who scored two goals to St Brendan’s one last night.

Causeway got the dream start when Sean Leahy bulged the net on fifty seconds. Keith Carmody added a point while in between Egan pointed for St Brendan’s.

Kevin Hannafin, Tom Moloney had a point each before Cian Hussey levelled matters, 0-4  to 1-1.

Six minutes later Stephen Murphy had another goal when he slipped the sliotar between the left post and Darren Delaney. His brother Mark added a point before John Egan had two in a row.

Continued below…


Thomas Casey, Anthony Fealy and Paul McGrath had three for Causeway to make it 0-6 to 2-5 with time up.

Into added time, Tadgh Flynn brought a save from Tim Hannafin and on 34 minutes Egan pointed a 65 to leave the halftime score St Brendan’s 0-7 Causeway 2-5.

Brandon Barrett came onto the field for the second half and on six minutes he had a point for Causeway. Egan replied with a free, thirty seconds later he drove over from distance, at the other end Darren Delaney brought off two great saves keeping the Ardfert side in the game.

Eric Leen has his eye on the sliotar while Jason Leahy gives chase. Photo by Dermot Crean

Disaster came for Causeway on 13 minutes, when they had a man sent off with a second yellow. On fifteen minutes Darren Dineen burst out of defence and blasted over a monster point from his own half reducing the margin to two.

McGrath and Egan swapped pointed frees with all the scores towards the end coming from St Brendan’s.

Daithi Griffin had a point, John Egan had two and when Tim Hannafin pushed the ball to the net with time almost up, St Brendan’s prevailed. SCROLL DOWN FOR LOADS OF PHOTOS

Anthony Fealy gives chase to David Griffin. Photo by Dermot Crean


Fi0nan Horgan attempts to go past Brandon Barrett. Photo by Dermot Crean

Tense moments during the game. Photo by Dermot Crean


Anthony Fealy drives the sliotar upfield. Photo by Dermot Crean

Seamus Skinner lays off a pass with Stephen Murphy in chase. Photo by Dermot Crean



Kevin Skinner and Bryan Murphy going for the sliotar. Photo by Dermot Crean

Fionan Horgan and Stephen Murphy tussle for the sliotar. Photo by Dermot Crean


Kevin Hannafin drives forward with Jason Leahy, Anthony Fealy and Brandon Barrett in chase. Photo by Dermot Crean

Darren Dineen lays off a pass. Photo by Dermot Crean

Eric Leen has a hold of Jason Leahy. Photo by Dermot Crean

Billy Lyons in possession chased by Stephen Goggin. Photo by Dermot Crean

Tim Hannafin (No.10 far right) slots the ball to the net for the clinching score. Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.