PHOTOS/REPORT: Na Gaeil See Off Finuge To Advance To Semi-Final

Posted by


Mike O’Halloran saw Na Gaeil advance to the semi-final of the Junior Premier Championship with a win over Finuge on Saturday evening…

Finuge 1-4

Na Gaeil 2-17

Shane Conway of Finuge looks to find a teammate with Ryan O’Neill standing in his way. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

The Junior Premier County Club Championship game played in Finuge on Saturday evening finished in an comprehensive win for Na Gaeil over their hosts Finuge on a scoreline of Finuge 1-4 Na Gaeil 2-17.

This game was a refixture as the last time Finuge and Na Gaeil played, the game was abandoned due to injuries to two Finuge players.

The injuries took centre stage that evening, but this evening it was the referee who took centre stage in the minds of the supporters.

Four red cards were issued, three to Finuge and one to Na Gaeil. Add to the reds, a few yellows and one would be forgiven for thinking that this was a dirty game. It didn’t feel like it was.

Continued below…


One of the red cards issued to a Finuge player was the topic of much speculation and discussion.

The red carded player left the field quite upset and distraught as to the reason  given for his dismissal. As for clarification, it will be in the referee’s report.

As to the game itself, Finuge had two scoring chances early in the game resulting in wides from John Buckley and John Griffin, before Na Gaeil had two points one each from Jack Barry and Dara Devine.

On six minutes, Shane Conway was fouled and Pat Corridon pointed the free. Three minutes later Darragh Shanahan put Finuge two points ahead when he shot past Timmy Culloty in the Na Gaeil goal.

Daragh Shanahan goals for Finuge. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

That was as good as it got for Finuge as they could only add a further two points before the game’s end.

Na Gaeil had points from Andrew Barry, Dara Devine with two in a row from Diarmuid O’Connor and one each from Fergal Barry and Kieran O’Donovan to lead at halftime, 0-8 to 1-1.

There was a ‘coming together’ of a number of players on 28 minutes resulting in a Finuge player being shown a red card and another card was issued in the aftermath of the ‘coming together’.

Continued below…


Na Gaeil added three more points within eight minutes of the restart. Paul Galvin had a pointed free in-between before the third much talked about red card was issued reducing Finuge to twelve men.

Kieran O’Donovan rises highest. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

Na Gaeil added a goal and three points before one of their players was issued with a red card.

Jason Wallace added a point for Finuge as they staged a mini revival led by the introduced players one of the introduced players Jeremy McKenna had the final score for Finuge.

Kieran Donovan had Na Gaeil’ s second goal on 28 minutes with their final point coming from Dan O’Connor and the win sees them advance to the semi-final.

Timmy Culloty under pressure from Ricky Heffernan. Photo by Mike O’Halloran

Comments are closed.