PHOTOS: Stacks Draw While St Brendan’s Continue Winning Ways

Posted by


Kilcummin’s Noel Duggan gives chase to St Brendan’s Andrew Barry during Saturday’s Kerry SFC game in Blennerville. Photo by Dermot Crean

AUSTIN Stacks and St Kieran’s will have to do it again, but St Brendan’s will advance with confidence to Round 2 after a deserved victory over Kilcummin last night in Round 1 of the Garvey’s Supervalu Kerry SFC.

Stacks and the divisional side couldn’t be separated after over 80 minutes of football at Connolly Park on Saturday evening and must meet again next week.

Continued below…


Played at Connolly Park, it didn’t look good for the home side — who started without Kieran Donaghy who was carrying an injury — in the opening half, as St Kieran’s looked sharper playing with a strong breeze.

St Kieran’s Dan Sullivan breaks out of defence despite Darragh O’Brien’s efforts. Photo by Dermot Crean

Within 11 minutes the visitors had raced into a 1-3 to 0-0 lead before Greg Horan opened the Stacks account.

Thomas Hickey was especially causing problems for the Rockies defence which received a blow when they lost Kerry star Ronan Shanahan on 16 minutes when he received a black card.

By this time St Kieran’s were 1-5 to 0-2 points and they tacked on three more points by the 20th minute to leave Stacks nine points off the pace and deserving of trailing by that margin. The St Kieran’s defence were alert and industrious, snuffing out numerous attacks by the home side.

Continued below…


An excellent score from distance by Michael O’Donnell and a free by David Mannix narrowed the gap but St Kieran’s added another to leave the scores 1-9 to 0-4 at the break.

Shane Carroll tackles James Walsh of St Kieran’s. Photo by Dermot Crean

It was a different Stacks side that emerged for the second half and with the help of the breeze and they clawed their way back, with Kieran Donaghy’s introduction proving crucial.

They hit the next eight points without reply to level the game with nine minutes to go to the delight of the home support.

St Kieran’s weren’t finished though and two more points in the space of a minute put them back on top. A Mannix free a minute late reduced the lead to the minimum, but the equaliser from the same player didn’t come until three minutes into injury-time. Full time: 0-14 to 1-11.

Continued below…


The extra-time period brought few scores with St Kieran’s taking a two point lead within four minutes. That would be it for them for the remaining 16 minutes as Stacks went on the offensive.

St Kieran’s Shane Fitzmaurice keeps his eye on David Mannix. Photo by Dermot Crean

Two frees from David Mannix, one in each half of extra-time ensured deadlock by the end of the evening, 0-16 to 1-13 .

Meanwhile, over in Blennerville, St Brendan’s — who were without Jack Barry — were hoping to build on the momentum of their thrashing of Shannon Rangers last week when they met Kilcummin.

This was a close affair in the first half with the side’s trading scores in the opening exchanges until St Brendan’s, playing against the wind, goaled to make the scores 1-4 to 0-5.

St Brendan’s Ivan Parker watches his shot hit the bottom left corner to put daylight between the sides in the second half. Photo by Dermot Crean

Kilcummin though, came back to parity before St Brendan’s pointed before half-time to leave them a point ahead at the short whistle.

It remained a tight affair on the resumption but around midway through the half came the key moment.

Continued below…


Brandon Barrett score a second half point. Photo by Dermot Crean

St Brendan’s Andrew Barry powered through from midfield, he laid off a pass to Ivan Parker who drilled the ball into the bottom corner of the Kilcummin net to put them 2-9 to 0-11 up.

Some excellent points from Brandon Barrett and Ivan Parker kept the visitors at arm’s length and they led by eight points until Matt Keane scored a goal for Kilcummin near full-time.

Kieran O’Donovan under pressure from Kilcummin players. Photo by Dermot Crean

A late St Brendan’s point was followed by another goal from Daniel Moynihan deep into injury-time from the visitors but it proved to be the last kick of the game and St Brendan’s had a three point win, 2-17 to 2-14.

St Brendan’s second-half performance was deserving of a victory and two championship games in a week will have done the divisional side a power of good.


Shane O’Callaghan has a shot on goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

Shane Carroll tackles James Walsh of St Kieran’s. Photo by Dermot Crean

Shane O’Callaghan is challenged by Dan Sullivan and Eamon Kiely. Photo by Dermot Crean

Michael O’Donnell on the attack as Michael Walsh looks on. Photo by Dermot Crean

Thomas Hickey of St Kierans caused problems for Austin Stacks especially in the first half. Photo by Dermot Crean

Dan Sullivan is challenged by Shane O’Callaghan. Photo by Dermot Crean

Kilcummin’s Shane McSweeney and St Brendan’s Stefan Okunbor contest a sickout. Photo by Dermot Crean

Matthew Keane speeds away from Alan O’Donoghue. Photo by Dermot Crean

David Griffin on the attack for St Brendan’s. Photo by Dermot Crean

Andrew Barry has his shot saved. Photo by Dermot Crean

Paul McMahon has a shot on goal. Photo by Dermot Crean

Andrew Barry goes forward as Daniel Moynihan looks on. Photo by Dermot Crean

St Brendan’s Ivan Parker about to strike his second half goal as teammate Diarmuid Herlihy looks on. Photo by Dermot Crean

St Brendan’s Ivan Parker celebrates his second half goal with Diarmuid Herlihy (right). Photo by Dermot Crean

Comments are closed.